Constant Acceleration Problem

In summary: It would be 40m not 40, since you're using 25m/s and 1 second. But you seem to be able to figure it out now. Sorry for any confusion.In summary, a motorbike traveling at 25m/s comes to a stop 2.5m in front of a broken down car after applying brakes with a constant deceleration of 5m/s^2. If the rider had not applied the brakes and waited 1 second, the bike would have hit the car at a speed of 15m/s.
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

A motorbike is riding along a straight road at 25m/s when the rider suddenly notices that there is a broken down car in his way, 65 meters ahead. He immediately brakes giving the bike a constant deceleration of 5m/s^2.

A. How far in front of the car does the biker come to a stop?
B. If the biker had not reacted a soon as he did and applied the brakes 1 second later, what speed would the bike had hit the car?

Homework Equations

v=u+at
v^2=u^2+2as
s=1/2(u+v)t
s=ut+1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The question confuses me a little as the question gives a distance of 65m in the question but asks you to also find a distance. But anyways, my attempts are below...

Part A:

v=0 a=-5 u=25

v^2=u^2+2as
0=625+(2x-5xs)
0=625+(-10xs)
s=(625-0)/-10

s=2.5mPart B:

v=0 t=1 a=-5 s=65

s=1/2(u+v)t
65=1/2(25+v)1
v=65/12.5

v=5.2m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
Well I can tell you that you got Part a correct as far as my calculations, and here's why:
At 65m the cyclist applies the brakes and starts to decelerate at 5m/s^2. The problem then asks you how far before the car he stops, so his final velocity is 0. You obviously got that and your calculations brought you to 62.5m, so in turn 2.5 m in front of the car. It took him 62.5m to go from 25m/s to 0m/s, and since the car was at 65m, he didn't quite reach it. so 2.5m in front of the car. I hope that helps.

For part two:
Initially, before the brakes the cyclist is moving at 25m/s. At 65m he starts to apply the brake, but for this part, he doesn't. He waits a second, so he is still traveling 25m/s for another second, past that 65m mark.

fornax said:
Well I can tell you that you got Part a correct as far as my calculations, and here's why:
At 65m the cyclist applies the brakes and starts to decelerate at 5m/s^2. The problem then asks you how far before the car he stops, so his final velocity is 0. You obviously got that and your calculations brought you to 62.5m, so in turn 2.5 m in front of the car. It took him 62.5m to go from 25m/s to 0m/s, and since the car was at 65m, he didn't quite reach it. so 2.5m in front of the car. I hope that helps.

For part two:
Initially, before the brakes the cyclist is moving at 25m/s. At 65m he starts to apply the brake, but for this part, he doesn't. He waits a second, so he is still traveling 25m/s for another second, past that 65m mark.

Thanks for the reply :)

Right I think I get the second part now, so if he waits one second, the distance between the bike and the car would now be 40m?

So part B would be..

v=25 s=40 a=-5 u=?

v^2=u^2+2as
625=u^2+(2x-5x40)
625=u^2+400
u^2=625-400
u^2=225
u=√225

u=15m/s ?

Looks good, that's exactly what I got for my answer as well. I'm not sure how you go about doing your problems, but I would highly suggest drawing a simple diagram of the problem at hand. Later on it is a good practice, and it keeps things orderly and harder to mix up. Even a line with some numbers on it might help clarify some things that may have been unclear before. Good luck with your future problems :)

Edit: sorry realized my mistake.

Last edited:

What is constant acceleration?

Constant acceleration is a type of motion in which the velocity of an object changes at a constant rate over time. This means that the object's speed increases or decreases by the same amount every second.

How is constant acceleration calculated?

Constant acceleration can be calculated using the equation a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. This equation can also be rearranged to find any of the three variables, if the other two are known.

What is the difference between constant acceleration and uniform motion?

Constant acceleration and uniform motion are often confused, but they are different types of motion. Uniform motion is when an object travels at a constant speed in a straight line, while constant acceleration involves a change in velocity over time.

What are some real-life examples of constant acceleration?

Some real-life examples of constant acceleration include a car speeding up or slowing down on a highway, a roller coaster going down a hill, and a skydiver falling to the ground. In all of these cases, the velocity of the object is changing at a constant rate.

Why is constant acceleration important in physics?

Constant acceleration is important in physics because it helps us understand and predict the motion of objects. By studying constant acceleration, we can analyze and solve problems related to the motion of objects, such as calculating the distance traveled or the time it takes for an object to reach a certain velocity.