Is there a circuit for precise microwatt power regulation with variable load?

In summary, a circuit is needed that takes a voltage proportional to the output current and outputs that power through a variable load. The circuit can be made with a small shunt resistor and an analog multiplier IC. The multiplier IC can be matched to the output current and regulated with an op amp. The circuit can be used to control power in the microwatts range with a load that is R<100 \Omega.
0xDEADBEEF
I am looking for a circuit that takes a voltage to preselect a power and than outputs that power through a variable load.

I have already seen a circuit that does this. The setup is easy:
You take a small shunt resistor to get a voltage proportional to the output current, and you also take the the output voltage, and multiply the two voltages together with an analog multiplier IC. The multiplied voltages you compare with the input voltage and regulate the output voltage with an op amp accordingly. This might sound confusing but it's very easy.

My problem is this: I need to do this in the microwatts range with a load that's [tex]R<100 \Omega[/tex] the multiplier chips I saw seem to be constructed for input of maybe U = 3V and the absolute errors look unacceptable.
Can anyone recommend a circuit or a chip?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Can you post the range of output voltages and currents you are wanting to control and monitor? A microwatt would be 10mV across 100 Ohms (100uA). How much above and below those voltages and currents do you want to go?

How dynamic is the load? Can it vary with some frequency, or is it set and stays that value for a while?

I think the main dynamic range limitation of analog multipliers is the output circuit which is an anti-log curcuit. The two input channels are logarithmic amplifiers (matched diodes in the feedback loop-I have used transdiode connection) which are added in a regular summing junction configuration. This output has a high dynamic range. All three opamps can be low power. need to run this into a comparator for preset regulation. This is good enough to use as a control function.

I think I already have a kind of solution now. But just to give you an Idea. Maybe I'd like to give something like 5-500 [tex]\mu \mathrm{W}[/tex] on a 100[tex]\Omega[/tex]. The input voltages for the circuit should be maybe 0.1-1 V the working voltage can be whatever.
This should work with some modification: http://electronicdesign.com/Articles/ArticleID/14194/14194.html

Last edited by a moderator:

FAQ: Is there a circuit for precise microwatt power regulation with variable load?

1. What is constant microwatt power?

Constant microwatt power refers to a specific level of power output that remains consistent over time. It is typically measured in microwatts (µW), which is one millionth of a watt.

2. How is constant microwatt power used in scientific research?

Constant microwatt power is commonly used in experiments that require a precise and stable level of energy, such as in studies of cellular metabolism or in the development of medical devices. It can also be used to power sensors and other electronic components in scientific equipment.

3. How is constant microwatt power generated?

There are various ways to generate constant microwatt power, depending on the specific application. Some methods include using specialized batteries or power supplies, as well as using voltage regulators or current limiters to control the power output.

4. What are the advantages of using constant microwatt power?

One advantage of constant microwatt power is its stability and precision, which is important in many scientific experiments. It also allows for more accurate and consistent results compared to using fluctuating power sources. Additionally, using constant microwatt power can reduce the risk of damaging sensitive equipment or samples with excessive energy.

5. Are there any limitations to using constant microwatt power?

One limitation of constant microwatt power is that it may not be suitable for high-power applications. It is also important to carefully select the appropriate power level for the specific experiment or device, as too much or too little power could affect the results. Additionally, constantly generating microwatt power can be energy-intensive and may require specialized equipment.