Calculating Time and Distance in a Constant Velocity Sprinting Problem

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the total time for a sprinter running the 100 m dash with constant acceleration until reaching top speed, then maintaining it until the finish line. The participants discuss various methods, such as mathematical calculations and graphing, to determine the average velocity, displacement, and remaining distance. They also mention the equation for displacement and the sprinter's initial velocity and maximum velocity. However, they struggle to find a solution and are unsure if their calculations are correct.
bbauer2
This is probably very simple, but it's causing me problems. I keep coming up with VERY unrealistic times. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

One simple model for a person running the 100 m dash is to assume the sprinter runs with constant acceleration until reaching top speed, then maintains that speed through the finish line.
If a sprinter reaches his top speed of 11.3 m/s in 2.54 s, what will be his total time?

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you come up with so far?

Because I have no idea where to start, I keep trying to do it mathematically. Like, 100/11.3 and then adding or subtracting the 2.54 seconds. I also tried drawing it out in a graph. When I did that I found myself in the same place. Not enough information to finish anything! I know that the equation is the change in velocity/change in time.

I got 4.45m/s^2 for the first velocity, but that doesn't seem right. I just graphed it and used Pythagorean Theorem. That would mean he ran 3.65 m at 4.45m/s^2 before reaching 11.3 m/s^2 for the other 96.35 yards. Then if you try to do Pythagorean Theorem again, it doesn't work. The hypotenuse is 11.3 and the height is 96.35. I am really stuck!

Displacement = Average velocity x time.
You know the sprinter's initial velocity and maximum velocity.
What is the average velocity and displacement?
Next what is the remaining distance? How much time he takes to run this with the maximum velocity?

Related to Calculating Time and Distance in a Constant Velocity Sprinting Problem

What is the constant velocity problem?

The constant velocity problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object moving at a constant speed in a straight line. It is often used to study the basic principles of kinematics and motion.

How do you calculate constant velocity?

To calculate constant velocity, you need to divide the distance traveled by the time it took to travel that distance. This will give you the average velocity, which is the same as the constant velocity if the object is moving at a steady speed.

What is the difference between constant velocity and constant acceleration?

Constant velocity refers to an object moving at a steady speed in a straight line, while constant acceleration refers to an object changing its velocity at a constant rate. In other words, constant velocity has a constant speed but constant acceleration has a changing speed.

What are some real-life examples of the constant velocity problem?

Some real-life examples of the constant velocity problem include a car traveling at a constant speed on a straight road, a ball rolling down a ramp without any external forces acting on it, and a plane flying at a constant speed in a straight line.

How can the constant velocity problem be applied in everyday life?

The constant velocity problem can be applied in everyday life to understand and predict the motion of objects. It can be used to calculate travel time and distances, analyze the performance of vehicles, and even in sports to improve techniques and strategies.