1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Constrained Lagrangian Problem

1. Apr 5, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose we have a skateboard half-pipe. The half-pipe has a radius R. We take a bicycle wheel of radius ρ and let it roll into the half-pipe. The wheel rolls without slipping ( and doesn't fall over, of course). Let Θ be the angle from the vertical to the line connecting the center of the half-pipe to the center of the bicycle wheel, and ø the angle the bicycle wheel has rotated.

(a) how are Θ,ø, R and ρ connected if the wheel rotates without slipping?

(b) Find the Lagrangian for the bicycle wheel. Use your answer from the previous part to simplify the Lagrangian.

2. Relevant equations

L= T-U
    where L is the Lagrangian, T is the kinetic engery, and U is the potential energy

3. The attempt at a solution

I am very familiar with how to evaluate and set up lagrangians. However i am having trouble figuring out how to relate the variables for part a. I know the potential will be in the form of U=mgh and how to take partials to get the equations of motion.

It may be that i am confused about the angle Θ and where it is defined. something just isn't clicking. Any point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. mostly i just need another mind to help me decipher how to do this. Once i get the relationships i should be good to continue on.

Thanks so much for all the help,

Eric

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi Eric, welcome to PF!

Imagine that a line is painted across the wheel, and it is vertical when the wheel is at the bottom of the tube. φ is the angle that line encloses with the vertical as shown in the figure, and θ is the angle showing the position of the centre of the wheel with respect to the vertical.

The wheel spins around its axis, and the centre of the wheel moves along a circle around the centre of the tube.

ehild

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted