Constrained Lagrangian Problem

• Thread starter esoms
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lagrangian
In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving a skateboard half-pipe and a bicycle wheel. The goal was to find the relationship between the angles Θ and ø, and the radii R and ρ, when the wheel rotates without slipping. The Lagrangian for the bicycle wheel was also mentioned, with the potential energy being in the form of U=mgh. The angles were defined as φ for the rotation of the wheel and θ for the position of the wheel's center with respect to the vertical. Guidance was requested to help understand how to approach the problem.
esoms

Homework Statement

Suppose we have a skateboard half-pipe. The half-pipe has a radius R. We take a bicycle wheel of radius ρ and let it roll into the half-pipe. The wheel rolls without slipping ( and doesn't fall over, of course). Let Θ be the angle from the vertical to the line connecting the center of the half-pipe to the center of the bicycle wheel, and ø the angle the bicycle wheel has rotated.

(a) how are Θ,ø, R and ρ connected if the wheel rotates without slipping?

(b) Find the Lagrangian for the bicycle wheel. Use your answer from the previous part to simplify the Lagrangian.

Homework Equations

L= T-U
where L is the Lagrangian, T is the kinetic engery, and U is the potential energy

The Attempt at a Solution

I am very familiar with how to evaluate and set up lagrangians. However i am having trouble figuring out how to relate the variables for part a. I know the potential will be in the form of U=mgh and how to take partials to get the equations of motion.

It may be that i am confused about the angle Θ and where it is defined. something just isn't clicking. Any point in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. mostly i just need another mind to help me decipher how to do this. Once i get the relationships i should be good to continue on.

Thanks so much for all the help,

Eric

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Eric, welcome to PF!

Imagine that a line is painted across the wheel, and it is vertical when the wheel is at the bottom of the tube. φ is the angle that line encloses with the vertical as shown in the figure, and θ is the angle showing the position of the centre of the wheel with respect to the vertical.

The wheel spins around its axis, and the centre of the wheel moves along a circle around the centre of the tube.

ehild

Attachments

• wheelintube.JPG
    wheelintube.JPG
    12.9 KB · Views: 505

What is a Constrained Lagrangian Problem?

A Constrained Lagrangian Problem is a mathematical optimization problem that involves finding the minimum or maximum value of a function subject to constraints. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science.

What is the Lagrangian function in a Constrained Lagrangian Problem?

The Lagrangian function in a Constrained Lagrangian Problem is a mathematical function that represents the objective function and the constraints in a single equation. It is used to find the optimum values of the variables that satisfy the constraints.

What are the constraints in a Constrained Lagrangian Problem?

The constraints in a Constrained Lagrangian Problem are conditions or limitations that restrict the values of the variables in the objective function. These constraints can be in the form of equations, inequalities, or a combination of both.

What is the role of the Lagrange multipliers in a Constrained Lagrangian Problem?

The Lagrange multipliers in a Constrained Lagrangian Problem are coefficients that are used to incorporate the constraints into the Lagrangian function. They help in finding the stationary points of the Lagrangian function, which correspond to the optimum values of the variables that satisfy the constraints.

What are some applications of Constrained Lagrangian Problems?

Constrained Lagrangian Problems have various applications in different fields. Some examples include the optimization of mechanical systems, such as the motion of a pendulum, the minimization of energy in electrical circuits, and the maximization of profit in economic models.