Continous charge or mass distributions

In summary, the author suggests that if you are using a discrete model to calculate something, you can call the distribution continuous if it is from a further out perspective. However, if you are calculating something closer to the charge, you should use a discrete model.
aaaa202
Often you want to calculate the electric field of a lot of charges or the center of mass for a lot of small masses.

When we have a rigid body or something similar in the world of electrodynamics, my book tells me always to calculate the cm or total field as an integral, because "the distributions are continous". Now I have always speculated about this line "they are continous". Because in this world everything is discrete. So isn't it just an approximation when you replace the sum of a hell of a lot of elements with an integral?

Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:
Often you want to calculate the electric field of a lot of charges or the center of mass for a lot of small masses.

When we have a rigid body or something similar in the world of electrodynamics, my book tells me always to calculate the cm or total field as an integral, because "the distributions are continous". Now I have always speculated about this line "they are continous". Because in this world everything is discrete. So isn't it just an approximation when you replace the sum of a hell of a lot of elements with an integral?

What if it is an approximation? Physics is about tractable models of the world. Often such models are based upon continuous manifolds, continuous and differentiable functions, conservation principles, and other such niceties where warranted. Intractable models have limited appeal.

Every particle has an uncertainty of position which is further blurred over even brief time periods. How would you set up a calculation in, say, fluid dynamics, if each time you had to account for every atom's location? Could you ever complete the calculation in time to be relevant?

Feel free employ the machinery of sigma notation rather than integral calculus whenever you can pinpoint the location of every discrete entity for your calculations :smile:

Which decimal place are you worried about and why? :devil:

It's a matter of scale as always. If I spin a bike tire there's only certain discrete values of angular momentum it can have (scaled by h), but on the scale I'm looking at I can't even hope to detect the discrete values so it's not really even an approximation to say that it's continuous.

If charges are only spaced out at atomic levels then you're even approaching the limit of self energy, and the point where classical electrodynamics breaks. So, looking at the charge distribution from further out, where electrodynamics is more valid, you can call the distribution continuous. Of course, if you charge up some pith balls and place them in a volume, maybe you shouldn't be calling them continuous.

Related to Continous charge or mass distributions

What is a continuous charge or mass distribution?

A continuous charge or mass distribution is a concept in physics where a particular property, such as electric charge or mass, is spread out continuously over a given space rather than being localized at a single point. This allows for a more accurate representation of real-world objects and phenomena.

How is a continuous charge or mass distribution different from a discrete one?

A discrete charge or mass distribution is one where the property is confined to distinct points, while a continuous distribution allows for a more detailed representation by taking into account the distribution of the property over a given space. This is important in many physical calculations and models.

What are some examples of continuous charge or mass distributions?

Continuous charge distributions can be found in many everyday objects, such as a wire with a current flowing through it, a charged metal sphere, or even a thundercloud with its varying electric charges. Continuous mass distributions can also be seen in objects such as a spring or a beam, where mass is distributed along its length.

How is a continuous charge or mass distribution mathematically described?

In physics, continuous charge or mass distributions are mathematically described using mathematical functions or equations that represent the distribution of the property over a given space. These functions can be integrated to calculate the total charge or mass of the distribution, or used in other equations to model the behavior of the system.

Why are continuous charge or mass distributions important in physics?

Continuous charge and mass distributions are important in physics because they allow for a more accurate representation of real-world objects and phenomena. They also enable scientists to make more precise calculations and models, leading to a better understanding of the physical world and its behavior.