Continuous Functions: Uniform Continuity

In summary, the problem discusses the existence of a point c in [0,1/2] such that f(c) = f(c+1/2) given the function f is continuous on the interval [0,1] and f(0) = f(1). This can be proven using the Intermediate Value Theorem applied to the function g:[0,1/2] -> ℝ defined by g(x) = f(x+1/2) - f(x). The concept of antipodal points on the Earth's equator is also introduced and can be related to the problem by considering them as pairs of points on the circle S^1.
kingstrick

Homework Statement

Let f be continuous on the interval [0,1] to ℝ and such that f(0) = f(1). Prove that there exists a point c in [0,1/2] such that f(c) = f(c+1/2). Conclude there are, at any time, antipodal points on the Earth's equator that have the same temperature.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I need help working through this problem. I am confused on how to start. First off the problem feels like it completely changes tempo from discussing real analysis to jumping to Earth's axis. What exactly are antipodal points? Are those the same as mid-points of subpoints in an interval? I assume so. Can someone tell me the first line in this proof after the assumptions so that i can get started?

Physics news on Phys.org
Consider the function [itex]g:[0,\frac{1}{2}] \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] defined by [itex]g(x)=f(x+\frac{1}{2})-f(x)[/itex] and apply the Intermediate Value Theorem to [itex]g[/itex].

You usually talk about antipodal points on an [itex]n[/itex]-sphere. In this case, you are talking about antipodal points on the circle [itex]S^1[/itex]. If [itex]x \in S^1[/itex], then the antipodal point corresponding to [itex]x[/itex] is the point [itex]-x[/itex]. So [itex]x,-x[/itex] form a pair of antipodal points. So for the second part, you are going to need to write your mapping as a function [itex]S^1 \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] and then apply the result above.

jgens said:
Consider the function [itex]g:[0,\frac{1}{2}] \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] defined by [itex]g(x)=f(x+\frac{1}{2})-f(x)[/itex] and apply the Intermediate Value Theorem to [itex]g[/itex].

You usually talk about antipodal points on an [itex]n[/itex]-sphere. In this case, you are talking about antipodal points on the circle [itex]S^1[/itex]. If [itex]x \in S^1[/itex], then the antipodal point corresponding to [itex]x[/itex] is the point [itex]-x[/itex]. So [itex]x,-x[/itex] form a pair of antipodal points. So for the second part, you are going to need to write your mapping as a function [itex]S^1 \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] and then apply the result above.

Does this follow then:

Let f be continuous on the interval [0,1] to ℝ such that f(0) = f(1). Consider the function [itex]g:[0,\frac{1}{2}] \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] defined by [itex]g(x)=f(x+\frac{1}{2})-f(x)[/itex]. Now, 0 < 1/2 < 1. Since f is continuous from [0,1], f is also continuous from [0,1/2]. By the location of roots theorem there exists a c where 0 < c < 1/2 such that g(0) < 0 < g(1/2). Therefore f(1/2)-f(0) < 0 < f(1)-f(1/2) Thus 0 = g(c) = f(c+1/2) - f(c). So f(c) = f(c+1/2).

Am i allow to assume that 0 is between g(0) and g(1/2)?

Well, you would need to show that 0 is between g(0) and g(1/2). That is, 0 is between:

f(1/2) - f(0) and f(1) - f(1/2)

So, the thing to do is to show that either:

a)f(1/2) - f(0) < 0 and f(1) - f(1/2) > 0
or
b)f(1/2) - f(0) >0 and f(1) - f(1/2) < 0
or
c) I'll let you think about this one HINT: It's a special case that should be handled before the (a) and (b) are. Also, remember that f(0) = f(1).

Once you have done the above, then use IVT as jgens suggested.

Robert1986 said:
Well, you would need to show that 0 is between g(0) and g(1/2). That is, 0 is between:

f(1/2) - f(0) and f(1) - f(1/2)

So, the thing to do is to show that either:

a)f(1/2) - f(0) < 0 and f(1) - f(1/2) > 0
or
b)f(1/2) - f(0) >0 and f(1) - f(1/2) < 0
or
c) I'll let you think about this one HINT: It's a special case that should be handled before the (a) and (b) are. Also, remember that f(0) = f(1).

Once you have done the above, then use IVT as jgens suggested.

kingstrick said:
Does this follow then:

Let f be continuous on the interval [0,1] to ℝ such that f(0) = f(1). Consider the function [itex]g:[0,\frac{1}{2}] \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] defined by [itex]g(x)=f(x+\frac{1}{2})-f(x)[/itex]. Now, 0 < 1/2 < 1. Since f is continuous from [0,1], f is also continuous from [0,1/2]. By the location of roots theorem there exists a c where 0 < c < 1/2 such that g(0) < 0 < g(1/2). Therefore f(1/2)-f(0) < 0 < f(1)-f(1/2) Thus 0 = g(c) = f(c+1/2) - f(c). So f(c) = f(c+1/2).

Am i allow to assume that 0 is between g(0) and g(1/2)?

Modified:

Let f be continuous on the interval [0,1] to ℝ such that f(0) = f(1). Consider the function [itex]g:[0,\frac{1}{2}] \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] defined by [itex]g(x)=f(x+\frac{1}{2})-f(x)[/itex]. Now, 0 < 1/2 < 1. Since f is continuous from [0,1], f is also continuous from [0,1/2]. g(0) = f(1/2) - f(1), g(1) = f(1) - f(1/2).

if f(1/2) < f (1) then g(1/2) < 0 < g(0) where there exists a c such that 0 = g(c) = f(c+1/2)-f(c). So f(c) = f(c+1/2).

if f(1) < f(1/2) then g(0) = 0 and g(1/2) =0 where there exist c such that 0 = g(c) = f(c+1/2) -f(c). so f(c) = f(c+1/2).

if f(1) = f(1/2) then g(0) = 0 then g(1/2) = 0 where there exists a c =0 such that 0 = g(0) =g(c)=f(c+1/2)-f(c) so then f(c) = f(c+1/2)

Thus f(c) = f(c+1/2)

***Now i didn't use the fact that f(0) = f(1) so I know I made a mistake. What am i still missing?

By the location of roots theorem there exists a c where 0 < c < 1/2 such that g(0) < 0 < g(1/2). Therefore f(1/2)-f(0) < 0 < f(1)-f(1/2) Thus 0 = g(c) = f(c+1/2) - f(c). So f(c) = f(c+1/2).

kingstrick said:
***Now i didn't use the fact that f(0) = f(1) so I know I made a mistake. What am i still missing?

There are three cases to consider. If [itex]f(\frac{1}{2})<f(0)[/itex], then [itex]g(0) < 0[/itex] and [itex]g(\frac{1}{2}) > 0[/itex]. If [itex]f(\frac{1}{2}) = f(0)[/itex], then the proof is complete. If [itex]f(\frac{1}{2}) > f(0)[/itex], then [itex]g(0) > 0[/itex] and [itex]g(\frac{1}{2}) < 0[/itex]. Apply the IVT to the relevant cases.

jgens said:
There are three cases to consider. If [itex]f(\frac{1}{2})<f(0)[/itex], then [itex]g(0) < 0[/itex] and [itex]g(\frac{1}{2}) > 0[/itex]. If [itex]f(\frac{1}{2}) = f(0)[/itex], then the proof is complete. If [itex]f(\frac{1}{2}) > f(0)[/itex], then [itex]g(0) > 0[/itex] and [itex]g(\frac{1}{2}) < 0[/itex]. Apply the IVT to the relevant cases.

So my first two cases were incomplete? Does this meen, I need to contract the interval some more for each case?

kingstrick said:
Does this meen, I need to contract the interval some more for each case?

Nope. The work I wrote out already allows you to apply the IVT directly. Notice that the inequalities involving [itex]g[/itex] explicitly utilized the fact that [itex]f(0)=f(1)[/itex].

jgens said:
Nope. The work I wrote out already allows you to apply the IVT directly. Notice that the inequalities involving [itex]g[/itex] explicitly utilized the fact that [itex]f(0)=f(1)[/itex].

But didn't my proof use the IVT?

Ah! I only read through the part where you noted that you didn't use f(0) = f(1). So you know, the following is more or less correct:
if f(1/2) < f (1) then g(1/2) < 0 < g(0) where there exists a c such that 0 = g(c) = f(c+1/2)-f(c). So f(c) = f(c+1/2).

if f(1) < f(1/2) then g(0) = 0 and g(1/2) =0 where there exist c such that 0 = g(c) = f(c+1/2) -f(c). so f(c) = f(c+1/2).

if f(1) = f(1/2) then g(0) = 0 then g(1/2) = 0 where there exists a c =0 such that 0 = g(0) =g(c)=f(c+1/2)-f(c) so then f(c) = f(c+1/2)
You need to go through and fix some "=" signs to "<" signs, but the idea here is right. You do realize though that any of the inequalities you have about g rely on the fact that f(0)=f(1), right?

yes, i didn't realize it earlier when i was working through g(0) and substituted f(1/2)+f(0) and changed it to f(1/2)+f(1) when I started working it out earlier on. Thank you for your help.

This stuff is very frustrating. I think i may need to change majors.

kingstrick said:
This stuff is very frustrating. I think i may need to change majors.

Obviously the choice of switching majors is up to you, but I would not give up on math just yet. It takes everyone some period of time to figure out how to write proofs. I know that for me, I spent about a year writing mostly incorrect proofs and getting discouraged before I figured things out. So my advice is stick to it a bit longer. Give yourself enough time to see if you can get the knack for these kinds of things.

kingstrick said:
Modified:

Let f be continuous on the interval [0,1] to ℝ such that f(0) = f(1). Consider the function [itex]g:[0,\frac{1}{2}] \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex] defined by [itex]g(x)=f(x+\frac{1}{2})-f(x)[/itex]. Now, 0 < 1/2 < 1. Since f is continuous from [0,1], f is also continuous from [0,1/2]. g(0) = f(1/2) - f(1), g(1) = f(1) - f(1/2).

Thus f(c) = f(c+1/2)

By the location of roots theorem there exists a c where 0 < c < 1/2 such that g(0) < 0 < g(1/2). Therefore f(1/2)-f(0) < 0 < f(1)-f(1/2) Thus 0 = g(c) = f(c+1/2) - f(c). So f(c) = f(c+1/2).

jgens said:
Ah! I only read through the part where you noted that you didn't use f(0) = f(1). So you know, the following is more or less correct:

You need to go through and fix some "=" signs to "<" signs, but the idea here is right. You do realize though that any of the inequalities you have about g rely on the fact that f(0)=f(1), right?

What is wrong with the '="?

Last edited:
So, i am confused is my proof still incomplete?

What is a continuous function?

A continuous function is a type of mathematical function that has a smooth and unbroken graph. This means that the output of the function changes gradually as the input changes, without any sudden jumps or breaks. In other words, if you were to draw the graph of a continuous function, you would not have to lift your pencil from the paper.

What is uniform continuity?

Uniform continuity is a special type of continuity where the rate of change of the function is consistent throughout the entire domain. This means that for any given distance, there is a corresponding distance in the output that also changes by a consistent amount. In other words, no matter where you are on the graph, the function changes at the same pace.

How is uniform continuity different from regular continuity?

In regular continuity, the rate of change of the function can vary at different points on the graph. This means that the function may change at a faster or slower pace in different areas of the domain. In uniform continuity, the rate of change is consistent throughout the entire domain, ensuring a smoother and more predictable behavior of the function.

Why is uniform continuity important in mathematics?

Uniform continuity is important in mathematics because it helps us understand the behavior of functions in a more precise and consistent manner. It allows us to make predictions about how a function will behave in different parts of its domain and helps us prove important theorems and properties of continuous functions.

How do you determine if a function is uniformly continuous?

To determine if a function is uniformly continuous, you can use the epsilon-delta definition of uniform continuity, which states that for any epsilon greater than 0, there exists a delta greater than 0 such that for all x and y in the domain, if the distance between them is less than delta, then the distance between the function values at those points is less than epsilon. In simpler terms, this means that no matter how close two points are on the graph, the function values at those points will also be close together.