Contribution to the magnetic field at the point by a thin wire

In summary, we discussed the concept of finding the contribution to the magnetic field at a specific point due to a section of wire using the Biot-Savart law. We also clarified the process for calculating the components in a cross product and made sure to take into account any signs that are already accounted for in the equations. The final answer should be in the format (dBx, dBy, dBz) = (0.0002355m, 0, 0.000441m) nT.
theshonen8899

Homework Statement

A thin wire carries current along an arbitrary path, but when it passes through the origin, it is in the +y direction. Denote the magnitude of the current is 9.10A and we consider a point in space whose location is r = (-0.730m)*i + (0.390)*k.

Find the contribution to the magnetic field at the point being considered due only to the 0.500mm-long section of the wire centered at the origin.

The answer should be in the following format:
(dBx, dBy, dBz) = [ ] nT

Homework Equations

Biot-Savart Law:
(μo/4∏)*[I*(dL x r_hat)/(|r|^2)]

The Attempt at a Solution

So since there is no z-component in r, Bz should be 0. And since j x j = 0, By should also be 0.
For Bx, dl x r_hat should be r_vector/|r| -[itex]\widehat{k}[/itex] right?

I have a feeling I'm not doing the cross products correctly so I apologize in advance for my difficulty understanding this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello.

It does look as though you are having some difficulty with cross products.

See if this link helps. In particular, look at the example about halfway down that illustrates getting the components of the result.

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
Thanks so much for the response! Okay so let me clarify, dl should be 0.500 mm j_hat right? Since it's on the y-axis.

|r| = √(0.73m^2)+(0.39m^2) = 0.828m

r_hat = (-0.730m/0.828m)*i + (0.390/0.828m)*k = -0.882m*i + 0.471m*k

dl x r_hat = (0.0005m*j) x (-0.882m*i + 0.471m*k)

x = aybz - azby = (0.0005m*j)(0.471m*k) - 0 = 0.0002355m*i
y = azbx - axbz = 0 - 0
z = axby - aybx = 0 - (0.0005m*j)(-0.882m*i) = -0.000441m*k << (from what I understand, j x i = -k right?)

Then plug these values into Biot Savart law:
(μo/4∏)*[I*(dL x r_hat)/(|r|^2)]

Bx = (μo/4∏)*[9.10A*(0.0002355m)/(0.828m^2)] = 3.12*10^-10
By = 0
Bz = (μo/4∏)*[9.10A*(-0.000441m)/(0.828m^2)] = -5.85*10^-10

Does that look right? Or at least better?

That's close. But there's still a bit of a problem with how you are calculating the components in the cross product.

x = aybz - azby = (0.0005m*j)(0.471m*k) - 0 = 0.0002355m*i
y = azbx - axbz = 0 - 0
z = axby - aybx = 0 - (0.0005m*j)(-0.882m*i) = -0.000441m*k << (from what I understand, j x i = -k right?)

You should not be writing the unit vectors when evaluating the components like this.

Just multiply the numbers. These formulas have already taken account of the fact that j x i = -k, etc.

So, you have an incorrect sign in your answer. See if you can find it.

Likes 1 person
Ahh, that would make a lot of sense then. I kept having trouble with cross product signs because I didn't know they already took them into account. So then would it be:

x = aybz - azby = (0.0005m)(0.471m) - 0 = 0.0002355m
y = azbx - axbz = 0 - 0
z = axby - aybx = 0 - (0.0005m)(-0.882m) = 0.000441m

That looks correct. Good work!

Likes 1 person
Awesome, thanks so much!

What is the concept of contribution to the magnetic field by a thin wire?

The contribution to the magnetic field at a point by a thin wire refers to the magnetic field strength or intensity produced by a straight, infinitely long wire carrying a current at a specific point in space.

What factors affect the contribution to the magnetic field by a thin wire?

The strength of the magnetic field at a point due to a thin wire is affected by the magnitude of the current flowing through the wire, the distance from the wire to the point, and the angle between the wire and the line connecting the wire to the point.

How is the direction of the magnetic field determined by a thin wire?

The direction of the magnetic field produced by a thin wire is determined by the right-hand rule, which states that if you point your thumb in the direction of the current flow, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field.

What is the formula for calculating the contribution to the magnetic field by a thin wire?

The formula for calculating the contribution to the magnetic field at a point by a thin wire is B = (μ0 * I) / 2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the wire, and r is the distance from the wire to the point.

How does the contribution to the magnetic field by a thin wire change with distance?

As the distance from the wire to the point increases, the contribution to the magnetic field by a thin wire decreases. This is because the magnetic field strength is inversely proportional to the distance from the wire, according to the formula B = (μ0 * I) / 2πr.