1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Control Systems Engineering - Masons Rule Help

1. Feb 1, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I'm trying to find [itex]\frac{V_{Load}(s)}{I_{Dist}(s)}[/itex] using Mason's rule. I was able to solve for [itex]\frac{V_{Load}}{I_{Cf}(S)}[/itex] using Mason's rule but am not sure how to solve for [itex]\frac{V_{Load}(s)}{I_{Dist}(s)}[/itex].

http://imageshack.com/a/img31/4299/zr5.PNG [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

There's only one forward path, [itex]1*\frac{1}{C_{f}s}*1[/itex]. Am I supposed to consider the loops to the left of [itex]I_{Dist}[/itex] to be non-touching loops? I've never solved a problem like this before were I'm asked to solve for the transfer function for a variable that's in the middle of a flow diagram and am not exactly sure. I'm also unsure if in the diagram that's a negative sign in front of [itex]I_{Dist}[/itex]. Thanks for any help.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2014 #2

donpacino

Gold Member

As you stated there is only one forward path. That means that the gain will always be 1*1/CFS*1, as you already stated. It looks like there is a negative sign to me.

I don't want to just give you the answer, but you are VERY close.

4. Feb 1, 2014 #3
    Is it really just [itex]-\frac{C_{f}s}{1 - C_{f}s}[/itex]?

5. Feb 3, 2014 #4

donpacino

Gold Member

well there is no loops in the circuits. so the gain would just be the forware gain.

so vload/-Idist=1/(CFS)

6. Feb 3, 2014 #5
    So if I wanted positive Vload/Idist it would just be the opposite magnitude, -1/(CFS)?

7. Feb 4, 2014 #6

donpacino

Gold Member

Yessir

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted