1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Convergence Divergence Help

1. Apr 19, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Well im studying for my final which is in a couple of days, and Im stuck on this topic of convergence of improper integrals. Ive been doing a couple and I thought I was doing them correctly but my answers do not go with the answers I was given. So Im stressing out over it. Here are the questions I have:

Determine whether the following integrals converge or diverge, evaluate those that converge.

1) Integral from -inf to 1 of: dx/(x-2)^5

2) Integral from 0 to inf of: e^x dx

2. Relevant equations
    Just the standard limit and integral equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1) I split the integral into two pieces, a) the int from -inf to 0: 1/(x-2)^5 and b) the int from 0 to 1: 1/(x-2)^5 I then took the limit of each integral, so I got:
    a) lim as t approaches -inf of a. solving the limit I got (1/-2 - 1/inf) which = -1/2 and is convergant.

b) lim as t approaches 0 of b. solving that limit I came up with a divergent answer. making the original Integral divergent. however the answer I was given says that the integral is convergent. Im confused on this.
    2) integral from 0 to inf of e^x dx
    I split this integral into two pieces as well. a) integral from 0 to 1: e^x dx and b) integral from 1 to inf: e^x dx

Solving each part, I got two convergent answers, but the answer said that its divergent. Im wrong again :yuck:.

Please help me out, and explain why. I have the answers, thats not what im going for..I just want to understand this so I can do well on my final. Thanks guys
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2008 #2
    I didn't get why you are splitting things.
    You only do that when you have a discontinuity like going from -1 to 1 for 1/x.

1/(x-2)^2 .. gives -1/(x-2) ] from t to 1, and take limit of t as it appraches -inf

same thing for e^x
  4. Apr 19, 2008 #3
    also, you did this step wrong!
    you don't have any inf/discountinity from 0 to 1
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?