Convergence of the following integral

In summary, the conversation is about finding a function that can prove whether the given integral converges or diverges. The person has been trying to find a function g(x) that is either greater or less than f(x), where g(x) converges and f(x) diverges, in order to solve the problem. However, they have not been successful and are looking for other ways to solve it or for a similar function that can help them. They discuss using ln(x)/x^4/3 as a possible function, but are unsure about its convergence/divergence and if it needs to be integrated.
Dell
i need to prove that the following converges or diverges

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{ln(x)dx}{\sqrt[3]{x}(x+1)}[/tex] (from 1-∞)

what i have been trying to do is find a function that is either:
g(x)>f(x); g(x) converges
g(x)<f(x); g(x) diverges

but i have not been able,
is there any other way to solve this, or could you please show me a similar function that is one of the 2, if possible could you show how you reached your g(x)

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Dell! :smile:

have you tried ∫ ln(x)/x4/3 dx ?

i thought of that, but what do i know about ln(x)/x^4/3, i would ideally liked to have taken it as my gx and said lim fx/gx=1 therefore f(x) behaves like ln(x)/x^4/3, how can i fin out if ln(x)/x^4/3 converges/diverges, do i have to integrate it? if so is there a simpler way than integration in parts? if not, is there not a simpler function you can think of

Dell said:
how can i fin out if ln(x)/x^4/3 converges/diverges, do i have to integrate it?

D'uh! :rolleyes:

you'd think so, wouldn't you?

get on with it!

What is "Convergence of the following integral"?

"Convergence of the following integral" refers to the process of determining whether a given integral will result in a finite or infinite value. This is important in mathematics and physics as it helps determine the validity of solutions and the behavior of functions.

Why is it important to determine the convergence of an integral?

Determining the convergence of an integral is important because it helps determine the validity of solutions and the behavior of functions. It also allows us to accurately calculate the value of the integral and make predictions about the behavior of the function in various scenarios.

What factors affect the convergence of an integral?

The convergence of an integral is affected by several factors, including the limits of integration, the integrand (the function being integrated), and the type of integral (e.g. improper or definite).

How is the convergence of an integral determined?

The convergence of an integral can be determined using various mathematical techniques, such as the comparison test, the integral test, and the ratio test. These methods involve analyzing the behavior of the integrand and the limits of integration to determine whether the integral will result in a finite or infinite value.

What are the different types of convergence for integrals?

There are three types of convergence for integrals: absolute convergence, conditional convergence, and divergence. Absolute convergence occurs when the integral results in a finite value, while conditional convergence occurs when the integral results in a finite value only under specific conditions. Divergence occurs when the integral results in an infinite value.