Troubleshooting First Order ODE Conversions

In summary: I don't know what other helpers think, but every now and then we get here question on a very standard problem the answer or solution method to which is the first chapter, or the first page of a chapter in any textbook on the subject. Helpers are not here to re-write the textbooks but to help out with difficulties or confusions in understanding points or difficulties students run into trying to apply the methods.In summary, this problem involves converting a second-order ODE into a system of two first-order differential equations.
LSMOG
Moved from a technical forum, so homework template missing
What am I doing wrong here in my attachment?

Attachments

• 15270592973801975924065.jpg
    15270592973801975924065.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
I'll be nice and write it out for you, but this is something that you should have done yourself instead of posting a picture:
$$
2 y'' -5 y' + y = 0
$$
You then set ##x_1 = y##, ##x_2 = y'## and ##x_3 = y''##.

First off, that ##x_3## shouldn't be there. You only introduce new variables up to one order less than the ODE.

Second, when you start writing the new set of ODEs, you must write everything in terms of the new variables, so there shouldn't be any ##y##'s left.

Thanks a lot, thanks again

You are not doing something wrong because you're not really doing anything!
I don't know what other helpers think, but every now and then we get here question on a very standard problem the answer or solution method to which is the first chapter, or the first page of a chapter in any textbook on the subject. Helpers are not here to re-write the textbooks but to help out with difficulties or confusions in understanding points or difficulties students run into trying to apply the methods.

I assume you can actually solve this equation? That will be a useful check and background. The question is asking you to solve it in a particular way. It Ii almost telling you the way when it says ' convert to first-order o.d.e.'. A first order (homogeneous linear with constant coefficients) ode is something of the form
(aD + B)f(y) = 0 where D stands for d/dx and you have to find a, b, f . f(y) = 0 is another first-order ode.
Doing this is called "factorisation of the operator". You will find it in plenty of books and online sources. If you consider first some elementary examples (your example is not quite the easiest) you will begin to see this as a natural thing to do, not something taken out of a hat. If you apply the "operator" (aD + b) to a first order differential equation, you will get a second order differential equation.

Last edited:
Likes Mark44
epenguin said:
The question is asking you to solve it in a particular way. It Ii almost telling you the way when it says ' convert to first-order o.d.e.'.
The thread title betrays some misunderstanding: "Convert to a first order ODE".
You can't convert a second-order ODE to a first-order ODE, but you can convert a second-order ODE into a system of two first-order differential equations.

epenguin said:
Helpers are not here to re-write the textbooks but to help out with difficulties or confusions in understanding points or difficulties students run into trying to apply the methods.
I agree. Your first resource should be your textbook, which almost certainly has an example of a problem like this.

Thanks and I am sorry colleagues

What does it mean to "convert to a first order ODE"?

Converting to a first order ODE means rewriting a mathematical equation or system of equations in the form of a first order ordinary differential equation. This involves expressing the highest order derivative as a function of the dependent variable and its derivatives.

Why is it useful to convert to a first order ODE?

Converting to a first order ODE allows for easier analysis and solution of a mathematical problem. It also allows for the use of various numerical and analytical techniques, such as separation of variables and Euler's method.

What are the steps involved in converting to a first order ODE?

The first step is to identify the highest order derivative in the equation. Then, substitute this derivative with a new variable, usually denoted by y'. Next, express the original dependent variable in terms of y' and its derivatives. Finally, rearrange the equation to isolate y' on one side and all other terms on the other side.

Can any equation be converted to a first order ODE?

No, not all equations can be converted to a first order ODE. The equation must be a differential equation, meaning it involves derivatives. Additionally, the equation must be able to be rewritten in a form where the highest order derivative is isolated on one side and all other terms are on the other side.

Are there any limitations or restrictions when converting to a first order ODE?

Yes, there are certain limitations and restrictions when converting to a first order ODE. For example, if the original equation is a partial differential equation, it cannot be directly converted to a first order ODE. Also, the equation must be well-defined and have a unique solution for it to be converted to a first order ODE.