1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting m/s to N?

1. Sep 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm charting vectors graphically and am given: 15m/s at 20 degrees + 6m/s at 90 degrees + 8 m/s at -135degrees. Do I have to convert the m/s into Newtons before graphing? Also, which direction would that -135degrees be in if you start at a point? I have no idea what the negative degrees mean and haven't found help online.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Tried laying it out similar to if I had N and graphed it to scale, but my numbers were way off.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2015 #2
    A) No. existing units are just fine.

4. Sep 2, 2015 #3
    Have you tried drawing a compass and showing the angles?

If you plot x, y or z, positive is one way, and negative is the other way. So if your angles increase from 0 when you rotate counter-clockwise, what happens to the Angle when you go the other way?

5. Sep 2, 2015 #4

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It makes no sense to convert to Newtons. The to sets of units refer to completely different physical quantities.

Just use a convenient scale factor to lay the velocity vectors out graphically.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted