Convert m/s to N? Chart Vectors Graphically

• Thread starter tvshonk
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about charting vectors graphically and whether or not to convert the given values from meters per second to Newtons before graphing. The negative degrees in one of the values is causing confusion and the person has not found help online. The solution involves using a scale factor to lay out the velocity vectors graphically.
tvshonk

Homework Statement

I'm charting vectors graphically and am given: 15m/s at 20 degrees + 6m/s at 90 degrees + 8 m/s at -135degrees. Do I have to convert the m/s into Newtons before graphing? Also, which direction would that -135degrees be in if you start at a point? I have no idea what the negative degrees mean and haven't found help online.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried laying it out similar to if I had N and graphed it to scale, but my numbers were way off.

Physics news on Phys.org
A) No. existing units are just fine.

Have you tried drawing a compass and showing the angles?

If you plot x, y or z, positive is one way, and negative is the other way. So if your angles increase from 0 when you rotate counter-clockwise, what happens to the Angle when you go the other way?

tvshonk said:

Homework Statement

I'm charting vectors graphically and am given: 15m/s at 20 degrees + 6m/s at 90 degrees + 8 m/s at -135degrees. Do I have to convert the m/s into Newtons before graphing? Also, which direction would that -135degrees be in if you start at a point? I have no idea what the negative degrees mean and haven't found help online.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried laying it out similar to if I had N and graphed it to scale, but my numbers were way off.
It makes no sense to convert to Newtons. The to sets of units refer to completely different physical quantities.

Just use a convenient scale factor to lay the velocity vectors out graphically.

Related to Convert m/s to N? Chart Vectors Graphically

What is the formula for converting m/s to N?

The formula for converting m/s to N is force = mass x acceleration. This means that you need to multiply the mass of an object (in kilograms) by its acceleration (in meters per second squared) to get the force in newtons.

How do you convert m/s to N?

To convert m/s to N, you need to follow the formula force = mass x acceleration. First, determine the mass of the object in kilograms. Then, calculate the acceleration in meters per second squared. Finally, multiply the mass by the acceleration to get the force in newtons.

Why do we need to convert m/s to N?

We need to convert m/s to N to determine the force exerted by an object. This is important in understanding the motion and behavior of objects in different scenarios. It is also necessary for engineering and scientific calculations and experiments.

What units are used for m/s and N?

The unit for m/s is meters per second, which is a measure of speed or velocity. The unit for N is newtons, which is a measure of force. Both of these units are derived from the SI (International System of Units) and are commonly used in scientific and engineering fields.

How can we represent m/s and N graphically?

Meters per second and newtons can be represented graphically using vectors. Vectors are graphical representations of magnitude and direction, which are important factors in understanding motion and force. By drawing vectors with the appropriate length and direction, we can visually represent m/s and N on a graph.