1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Converting to unit impulse function

1. Sep 16, 2005 #1
    I was wondering how do you go about converting something like tri(t-1) to the unit impulse function. How do you convert any function to a unit impulse function?

More specifically I'm trying to find the Laplace transform of x(t)=[tri(t-1)]e^(-3t)

And I was told you have to convert the tri(t-1) part to a unit impulse and then it become easy.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 16, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

I take it "tri" is a triangle function with ramp up from 0 to some value, then ramp down?

In that case, start with a ramp t, then figure what must be added to ramp down.

It's a bit like making a square/rectangular function by superimposing step functions, e.g. u(t) - u(t-1).
  4. Sep 16, 2005 #3
    So would it be ramp(t)+ramp(-t-1)

If that's the case, then how would you find the Laplace of that when it replaces tri(t-1)?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?