Calculating Image Height of Flower in Convex Mirror | Homework Question

In summary: To the one who posted the conversation: the summary would be:In summary, a convex spherical mirror with a focal length of 25 cm has a 4.0-cm tall flower placed 100 cm in front of it. The height of the image of the flower is 0.80 cm.
Brittany King
1. Homework Statement

A convex spherical mirror with a focal length of magnitude 25 cm has a 4.0-cm tall flower placed 100 cm in front of it. What is the height of the image of the flower?

a.20 cm
b. 1.6 cm
c .0.80 cm
d. 4.0 cm
e. 8.0 cm

Homework Equations

1/f=1/do+1/di

M=-di/do=hi/ho

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Using mirror equation I calculated di=33.3cm
Using Magnification equation I calculated hi=1.33cm

I thought this would be a simple problem, I don't see my mistake. Do any of you? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Please, show the steps in your calculation...

you have used the correct equations, but you forget about the focal length of convex mirror is virtual, hence you should substitutes f = -25 cm, and you should get di = -20 cm , hence, hi = 0.80 cm

yihloong said:
you have used the correct equations, but you forget about the focal length of convex mirror is virtual, hence you should substitutes f = -25 cm, and you should get di = -20 cm , hence, hi = 0.80 cm
Hello yihloong, :welcome:

Please note that in PF we don't provide the answers: we help the posters learn and understand by pointing at mistakes and by asking relevant questions. Directly giving an answer often robs the poster from a valuable learning experience

What is a convex mirror?

A convex mirror is a curved mirror that bulges outward. It is also known as a diverging mirror because it causes light rays to spread out.

What are the characteristics of a convex mirror?

A convex mirror has a reflective surface that curves outward, creating a wider field of view and a smaller image compared to the object being reflected. It also has a virtual image, meaning the image appears to be behind the mirror and cannot be projected onto a screen.

What are the uses of convex mirrors?

Convex mirrors are commonly used in security and surveillance systems, as well as in side-view mirrors of vehicles. They are also used in solar cookers, telescopes, and safety mirrors in stores and parking lots.

How does a convex mirror differ from a concave mirror?

A convex mirror bulges outward and produces a smaller, upright image, while a concave mirror curves inward and produces a larger, inverted image. Additionally, a convex mirror always has a virtual image, while a concave mirror can produce both virtual and real images.

What is the difference between a convex mirror and a plane mirror?

A convex mirror has a curved surface, while a plane mirror has a flat surface. This results in a distorted image in a convex mirror, while a plane mirror produces a reflection that is the same size and shape as the object being reflected.