Convolution Question Homework: Period & Expression Calculation

• Thread starter gauss mouse
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convolution
In summary, the conversation discusses a periodic function with a given period and its convolution with another periodic function. The period of the convolution is the same as the original functions and the expressions for the function in given intervals are (t-1)^2 and (t+3/2)^2. There is a typo in the given expression for the convolution, which should be corrected to (x-1/2)^3. The formula \int_{-1/2}^{1/2}f(x-t)g(t)dt is used to compute the convolution to match the limits of integration for the original functions.
gauss mouse

Homework Statement

This is a question from a sample exam, rather than a homework problem.

[itex]\text{Let }f \text{ be the periodic function with period } 1 \text{ defined for }-1/2\leq t<1/2 \text{ by }f(t)=t^2\\ \text{ and let }g \text{ be the periodic function with period } 1 \text{ defined for }-1/2\leq t<1/2 \text{ by } g(t)=1.
\\ \text{(a) What is the period of }f\ast g?
\\ \text{(b) Find the expression of }f \text{ for }1/2\leq t<3/2, \text{ and }-2\leq t\leq -1.
\\ \text{(c) Show that }f\ast g\text{ is given for }0\leq x\leq 1 \text{ by }
\\ (f\ast g)(x)= \frac{5}{4}-\frac{1}{3}\left(x-\frac{1}{2}\right)^3+\frac{1}{3}\left(x+\frac{1}{2}\right)^3-\left(x+\frac{1}{2}\right)^2+x.
[/itex]

Homework Equations

The convolution of two functions [itex] f_1 [/itex] and [itex] f_2 [/itex] both with period [itex] L [/itex] is given by
[itex]\displaystyle (f_1\ast f_2)(x)=\frac{1}{L}\int_{-L/2}^{L/2}f_1(x-t)f_2(t)dt= \frac{1}{L}\int_{-L/2}^{L/2}f_1(t)f_2(x-t)dt[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) Is it so that the convolution will have the same period as the two functions which you convolve?
(b) Clearly the answers are [itex] (t-1)^2\text{ and }(t+3/2)^2[/itex].

(c)There seems to be something wrong with the question. The first thing that looks wrong is that the last expression is,
when you expand it, nothing more than the constant [itex]\displaystyle\frac{13}{12}[/itex].

I calculated the convolution as follows
[itex]\displaystyle \int_{-1/2}^{1/2}f(t)g(x-t)dt=\int_{-1/2}^{1/2}f(t)dt=\int_{-1/2}^{1/2}t^2dt=\frac{1}{12} [/itex]

It seems that the lecturer wants us to compute it as follows
[itex]\displaystyle \int_{-1/2}^{1/2}f(x-t)g(t)dt[/itex]
I think that he wants us to use answers from part (b) to figure out what values [itex]f [/itex] should take. I don't see why we should do it this way instead of my way or why the answers would be different between his way and my way. I also can't see exactly what to do for his way. I don't see how I would always know where [itex]x-t[/itex] was and hence I don't see how I would always know the value of [itex]f[/itex] at [itex]x-t[/itex]. I know that's what part (d) is for but I can't see what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. I can offer some insights and clarification on this problem.

Firstly, yes, the period of the convolution of two functions is the same as the period of the original functions. This can be seen from the convolution integral formula, where the limits of integration are from -L/2 to L/2, where L is the period of the functions being convolved.

For part (b), you are correct in your answers. The expressions for f in the given intervals are indeed (t-1)^2 and (t+3/2)^2. These can be obtained by shifting the original function f(t)=t^2 by the given intervals.

For part (c), there is a typo in the given expression for (f*g)(x). It should be (x-1/2)^3 instead of (x+1/2)^3. This can be seen from the given formula for the convolution of two functions, where the second function is shifted by x instead of -x. With this correction, the given expression will simplify to the constant 13/12.

I understand your confusion about using the formula \int_{-1/2}^{1/2}f(x-t)g(t)dt to compute the convolution. The reason for this is to make the limits of integration for the convolution integral match the limits of integration for the original functions, which are -1/2 to 1/2. This is a common practice in mathematics, where we use the dummy variable t for the function being integrated, and x for the variable we are integrating with respect to.

I hope this helps to clarify the problem. Let me know if you have any further questions. Best of luck on your exam!

Related to Convolution Question Homework: Period & Expression Calculation

1. What is convolution and how is it useful in scientific research?

Convolution is a mathematical operation that combines two functions to create a third function that represents the amount of overlap between the original two functions. It is useful in scientific research because it allows for the analysis and understanding of complex systems and signals, such as those found in image and signal processing, acoustics, and engineering.

2. What is the period of a function and how is it calculated using convolution?

The period of a function is the smallest interval at which the function repeats itself. It can be calculated using convolution by finding the smallest interval at which the convolution of the function with itself is equal to the function multiplied by a constant factor (e.g. 2 or -1).

3. How is convolution used to calculate the expression of a function?

Convolution can be used to calculate the expression of a function by breaking down the function into simpler components and then using convolution to combine them. This allows for the analysis of complex functions and the creation of simpler expressions that accurately represent the original function.

4. Can convolution be used for non-continuous functions?

Yes, convolution can be used for non-continuous functions. However, in order to accurately calculate the convolution of non-continuous functions, a different definition of convolution must be used known as the discrete convolution. This involves replacing the integral with a summation and is commonly used in digital signal processing.

5. What are the limitations of convolution in scientific research?

One limitation of convolution is that it assumes the functions being convolved are linear and time-invariant, which may not always be the case in complex systems. Additionally, convolution can be computationally expensive and may not always be practical for real-time analysis. Careful consideration and understanding of the functions being convolved is necessary to ensure accurate results.