Coolest Word Ever: Defenestration | I Challenge All!

• Thread starter Smurf
  • Start date
In summary: 1083 М 1052 м 1084 Н 1053 н 1085 О 1054 о 1086 П 1055 п 1087 Р 1056 р 1088 С 1057 с 1089 Т 1058 т
What about fascinations with dilations and erected objects...?None of that...?:cry:

Daniel.

Physics news on Phys.org
Moist.

*10char*

Anencephalic

I learned this word back in grade school and still remember it. It's a very sad infant condition, but can be used as an effective putdown for a jerk. (basically means born without a properly formed brain.)

"Ampula".Quite perverse in Romanian (or is it my mind?:wink:)."Am" means "(I) have" and "pula" means "d**k".So it was pretty fun to hear girls in HS at the anatomy class speaking about internal ear...:-p

Daniel.

P.S."Cupula","Scapula" Funny twisted biology...Or is the MIND...?:confused:

dextercioby said:
"Ampula".Quite perverse in Romanian (or is it my mind?:wink:)."Am" means "(I) have" and "pula" means "d**k".So it was pretty fun to hear girls in HS at the anatomy class speaking about internal ear...:-p

Daniel.

P.S."Cupula","Scapula" Funny twisted biology...Or is the MIND...?:confused:
As a note: In Norwegian, the verb "pule" means putting what Romanians call "pula" to work

Gokul43201 said:
onomatopoeia - words that imitate the sound they denote; eg: buzz, hiss, gurgle

The first word that came to my mind :rolleyes:

I've missed the weekend of postings (so until I catch up--don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet), but a favorite word of mine is "frolick."

How about "Flummoxed"?
(meaning confused)

SOS2008 said:
a favorite word of mine is "frolick."
Of course, in your case that is onomatopoeia... :-p

The med techs used a device called an occularplethysmograph.

Of course, occular for eye

plethysmograph: a measuring instrument for measuring changes in volume of a part or organ or whole body (usually resulting from fluctuations in the amount of blood it contains).

IIRC, using this they could indirectly measure the volumetric flow of blood in the eye.

Ivan Seeking said:
plethysmograph: a measuring instrument for measuring changes in volume of a part or organ
I think we should get one of these for our cancer clinic.

I love to spelunk in dark crevices o:)

I probably shouldn't be saying this, but my favorite word is "the f-word". Some of my artsy-fartsy literary friends say that using it indicates a low level of creativity. I profoundly disagree. It can be used in any part of speech, and coming up with new uses for it can be every bit the exercise in creativity that using a stuck-up "expanded" vocabulary is.

So let's give 3 cheers for my favorite word.

FILIBUSTER

Gotcha!
:smile: :smile: :smile:

Ivan Seeking said:
The med techs used a device called an occularplethysmograph.

Of course, occular for eye

plethysmograph: a measuring instrument for measuring changes in volume of a part or organ or whole body (usually resulting from fluctuations in the amount of blood it contains).

IIRC, using this they could indirectly measure the volumetric flow of blood in the eye.

While on the subject of medical devices, sphygmomanometer has always been a favorite of mine ("Hey, you, the student sleeping in the back, will you read that paragraph aloud to the class? Yes, the one about taking blood pressure.") :smile: It's much more fun to make other people say it. :devil:

gravenewworld said:
No one's going to make a remark about this? :confused:

I just invented new word... Forni****ate :smile: (sorry I just think all day about sex :redface:)

You only left out one letter...what the hell are the four stars for? :-p

My high school French teacher used to threaten to defenestrate us all the time (in French, of course). :smile:

cepheid said:
You only left out one letter...what the hell are the four stars for? :-p
see, this is why stoned is lonely.
"Hey, darlin', let's fornimuhcate!"

The chicks never know what he's talking about. :biggrin:

I remember thinking how cool it is that Lake Titicaca drains into Lake Poopó.

But then there is nothing like a trip to the magical Pupu Springs, near Takaka.

When in Chinese restaurants, I like to order the "Human" dishes.

SOS2008 said:
No one's going to make a remark about this? :confused:
I got here late, and spent about 20 minutes going back over old posts to see if Gravenworld ? was male or female. I'm still not sure.
So... clever retorts pending... (But as far as the spelunking is concerned, I'm glad that I'm not claustrophobic...)

gravenewworld said:
If you get lost, we'll send in a search party. :biggrin:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia

Such irony, such beauty.

Last edited by a moderator:
theCandyman said:
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia

Such irony, such beauty.

:smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

We have a winner! No way to top that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've actually worked the word 'antidisestablishmentarianism' into a conevrstaion before (the only chance you ever have to do this is when discussing the Anglican church in the UK in the 18th century).

Or a number of linguistic topics.

does anyone know the word for 'fear of phobias'? Phobophobia? :smile:

floccinaucinihilipilification... My wifey would say I do this all the time. I love assigning value to things considered worthless to most.

Smurf said:
does anyone know the word for 'fear of phobias'? Phobophobia? :smile:

So then I guess the fear of phobophobia would be phobophobophobia :biggrin:

This is so asinine. I love the word asinine.

matutolagnia
n.
antemeridian sexual desire

matutinal
adj.
relating to or occurring in the morning

The rotating brush roll in a Hoover is properly called the disturbulator. :biggrin:

The Germans call the TV das Fernsehen - "the far seer". I always liked that. It seems to me that the longest name of a road is also German - it combines the names of the villages that lie along its path.

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis: defined by the OED as "a factitious word alleged to mean 'a lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica dust'

Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch: a village in Wales

Compounds (apparently there is one that is 1,913 letters long)

A few words found only in Joyce's Finnegans Wake.

http://dictionary.reference.com/help/faq/language/l/longestword.html

ACETYL*SERYL*TYROSYL*SERYL*ISO*LEUCYL*THREONYL*SERYL*PROLYL*SERYL*GLUTAMINYL*PHENYL*ALANYL*VALYL*PHENYL*ALANYL*LEUCYL*SERYL*SERYL*VALYL*TRYPTOPHYL*ALANYL*ASPARTYL*PROLYL*ISOLEUCYL*GLUTAMYL*LEUCYL*LEUCYL*ASPARAGINYL*VALYL*CYSTEINYL*THREONYL*SERYL*SERYL*LEUCYL*GLYCYL*ASPARAGINYL*GLUTAMINYL*PHENYL*ALANYL*GLUTAMINYL*THREONYL*GLUTAMINYL*GLUTAMINYL*ALANYL*ARGINYL*THREONYL*THREONYL*GLUTAMINYL*VALYL*GLUTAMINYL*GLUTAMINYL*PHENYL*ALANYL*SERYL*GLUTAMINYL*VALYL*TRYPTOPHYL*LYSYL*PROLYL*PHENYL*ALANYL*PROLYL*GLUTAMINYL*SERYL*THREONYL*VALYL*ARGINYL*PHENYL*ALANYL*PROLYL*GLYCYL*ASPARTYL*VALYL*TYROSYL*LYSYL*VALYL*TYROSYL*ARGINYL*TYROSYL*ASPARAGINYL*ALANYL*VALYL*LEUCYL*ASPARTYL*PROLYL*LEUCYL*ISOLEUCYL*THREONYL*ALANYL*LEUCYL*LEUCYL*GLYCYL*THREONYL*PHENYL*ALANYL*ASPARTYL*THREONYL*ARGINYL*ASPARAGINYL*ARGINYL*ISOLEUCYL*ISOLEUCYL*GLUTAMYL*VALYL*GLUTAMYL*ASPARAGINYL*GLUTAMINYL*GLUTAMINYL*SERYL*PROLYL*THREONYL*THREONYL*ALANYL*GLUTAMYL*THREONYL*LEUCYL*ASPARTYL*ALANYL*THREONYL*ARGINYL*ARGINYL*VALYL*ASPARTYL*ASPARTYL*ALANYL*THREONYL*VALYL*ALANYL*ISOLEUCYL*ARGINYL*SERYL*ALANYL*ASPARAGINYL*ISOLEUCYL*ASPARAGINYL*LEUCYL*VALYL*ASPARAGINYL*GLUTAMYL*LEUCYL*VALYL*ARGINYL*GLYCYL*THREONYL*GLYCYL*LEUCYL*TYROSYL*ASPARAGINYL*GLUTAMINYL*ASPARAGINYL*THREONYL*PHENYL*ALANYL*GLUTAMYL*SERYL*METHIONYL*SERYL*GLYCYL*LEUCYL*VALYL*TRYPTOPHYL*THREONYL*SERYL*ALANYL*PROLYL*ALANYL*SERINE = Tobacco

TAUMATA*WHAKA*TANGI*HANGA*KOAUAU*O*TAMATEA*TURIPUKAKA*PIKI*MAUNGA*HORO*NUKU*POKAI*WHENUA*KITANA*TAHU - A hill in New Zealand

http://www.fun-with-words.com/word_longest.html

Ivan Seeking said:
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch: a village in Wales
Damned Welsh again. According to the ex-from-hell, it's probably prounounced 'Anlock' or some silly-ass thing like that. :rolleyes:

I like "callipygian". I am still waiting for it to show up in a rap song (it has to eventually).

I've always been fond of woebedraggled. Not even sure if its a word but that's how I feel first thing in the morning, well afternoon as it often is.

Huck