What is the Geometrical Proof for the Coordinate Transformation Formula?

In summary, the problem involves proving the equality of cosines in a dot product equation. The proof is based on geometrical considerations and involves finding the angle between two straight lines given their direction cosines. The direction cosines are the Cartesian components of the unit tangent vector of the line. The dot product of the unit vectors is related to the angle between the lines.
Karol

Homework Statement

Prove:
[tex]\cos\alpha\cdot\cos\alpha'+\cos\beta\cdot\cos\beta'+\cos\gamma\cdot\cos \gamma'=\cos\theta[/tex]
See drawing Snap1

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

See drawing Snap2. i make the length of the lines 1 and 2 to equal one, for simplicity.
The projection of line 1 on one of the axes is cos(α).
##\cos\alpha\cdot\cos\beta## is the projection of line OA=cos(α) on line 2, which causes line AB to be perpendicular to line 2.
If i will make the same procedure for all 3 axes and add the 3 projections on line 2 i have to get, see Snap1, line OC which is ##1\cdot\cos\theta##, but i don't know how to do it.
The book from which i took this problem says i have to solve it from geometrical considerations.
Where can i find the proof to this problem?

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Snap1.jpg
    9.5 KB · Views: 399
  • Snap2.jpg
    Snap2.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 355
Physics news on Phys.org
You have two straight lines given with their direction cosines, and θ is the angle between the lines?

The direction cosines are the Cartesian components of the unit tangent vector of the line. ##\vec e_1=<\cos(\alpha);\cos(\beta);\cos(\gamma)> ## and ##\vec e_2=<\cos(\alpha');\cos(\beta');\cos(\gamma')> ##. The dot product of the unit vectors ##\vec e_1## and ##\vec e_2## is ##\vec e_1\cdot\vec e_2 =\cos(\alpha)\cos(\alpha')+\cos(\beta)\cos(\beta')+\cos(\gamma) \cos( \gamma ')##. How is the dot product related to the angle θ between the unit vectors?

ehild

Thanks, Ehild, the dot product is just that, the cos between the lines.

What is coordinate transformation?

Coordinate transformation is the process of converting coordinates from one coordinate system to another, typically in a two or three-dimensional space.

Why is coordinate transformation important?

Coordinate transformation is important because it allows us to represent the same location or point in space using different coordinate systems, which can be useful for different purposes or applications.

What are some common coordinate systems used in coordinate transformation?

Some common coordinate systems used in coordinate transformation include Cartesian coordinates, polar coordinates, and geographic coordinates.

How is coordinate transformation done?

Coordinate transformation is done by using mathematical equations and algorithms to convert the coordinates from one system to another. This can involve rotations, translations, and scaling of the coordinates.

What are some practical applications of coordinate transformation?

Coordinate transformation has numerous practical applications in various fields, such as mapping, navigation, engineering, and computer graphics. It is also used in geographic information systems (GIS) to overlay different layers of data on a map.