1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coordinate Transformation

1. Aug 2, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove:
    [tex]\cos\alpha\cdot\cos\alpha'+\cos\beta\cdot\cos\beta'+\cos\gamma\cdot\cos \gamma'=\cos\theta[/tex]
    See drawing Snap1

2. Relevant equations
    None

3. The attempt at a solution
    See drawing Snap2. i make the length of the lines 1 and 2 to equal one, for simplicity.
    The projection of line 1 on one of the axes is cos(α).
    ##\cos\alpha\cdot\cos\beta## is the projection of line OA=cos(α) on line 2, which causes line AB to be perpendicular to line 2.
    If i will make the same procedure for all 3 axes and add the 3 projections on line 2 i have to get, see Snap1, line OC which is ##1\cdot\cos\theta##, but i don't know how to do it.
    The book from which i took this problem says i have to solve it from geometrical considerations.
    Where can i find the proof to this problem?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have two straight lines given with their direction cosines, and θ is the angle between the lines?

The direction cosines are the Cartesian components of the unit tangent vector of the line. ##\vec e_1=<\cos(\alpha);\cos(\beta);\cos(\gamma)> ## and ##\vec e_2=<\cos(\alpha');\cos(\beta');\cos(\gamma')> ##. The dot product of the unit vectors ##\vec e_1## and ##\vec e_2## is ##\vec e_1\cdot\vec e_2 =\cos(\alpha)\cos(\alpha')+\cos(\beta)\cos(\beta')+\cos(\gamma) \cos( \gamma ')##. How is the dot product related to the angle θ between the unit vectors?

ehild

4. Aug 3, 2014 #3
    Thanks, Ehild, the dot product is just that, the cos between the lines.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted