Calculating Minimum Magnetic Field for Sliding Copper Rod on Two Rails

In summary, the problem is asking for the magnitude of the least magnetic field that would cause a copper rod to slide on two rails 1.3 m apart, given that the rod has a mass of 0.6 kg and is carrying a current of 31 A. The coefficient of static friction is 0.3. To solve this problem, the equations F=ILxB, F=ma, and f=(Fn)(u) are used. The acceleration of the copper rod is found to be zero, and the optimum angle for the applied force may also need to be taken into consideration when determining the net frictional force.
tomrja

Homework Statement

A copper rod of mass 0.6 kg rests on two rails 1.3 m apart and carries a current of 31 A from one rail to the other. The coefficient of static friction is 0.3. What is the magnitude of the least magnetic field that would cause the bar to slide?

Homework Equations

F= ILxB

F=ma

f=(Fn)(u) where f is the frictional force, Fn is the normal force, and u is mu.

The Attempt at a Solution

I set up a free body diagram and found the equation: F-(Fn)(u)=ma. In the y direction Fn=mg=(0.6)(9.8)= 5.88N. Then I plugged that into my first equation for the x direction and got F= 0.6a + 5.88. I know that F=ILB, so I plugged that in and solved for B: B= (.6a + 1.764)/40.3. Am I on the right track? If I am then where do I get the acceleration of the copper rod from? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
hi tomrja! :smile:

(have a mu: µ :wink:)
tomrja said:
… What is the magnitude of the least magnetic field that would cause the bar to slide?

Am I on the right track? If I am then where do I get the acceleration of the copper rod from?

yes :smile:

and the acceleration is zero

you only need just enough force to get the bar to start moving :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi tomrja! :smile:

(have a mu: µ :wink:)

yes :smile:

and the acceleration is zero

you only need just enough force to get the bar to start moving :wink:

Ahhh duh, guess I should have read the problem again haha. Thanks!

Just to stir the pot a bit, if the applied force is not horizontally directed it is possible to increase or decrease the normal component of the net force, thus altering the net frictional force. So you might consider finding the optimum angle to apply the force first.

wow! i never thought of that! :rolleyes:

yes, tomrja, you need to do that also :smile:

FAQ: Calculating Minimum Magnetic Field for Sliding Copper Rod on Two Rails

1. What is the purpose of the copper rod on two rails?

The copper rod on two rails is used to conduct electricity. It acts as a conductor between two points, allowing the flow of electrical current.

2. How does the copper rod on two rails work?

The copper rod on two rails works by utilizing the properties of copper, which is an excellent conductor of electricity. When an electrical current is introduced to one end of the rod, it travels through the copper and out the other end, completing the circuit.

3. What are the advantages of using a copper rod on two rails?

There are several advantages to using a copper rod on two rails. Firstly, copper is a highly conductive material, allowing for efficient transfer of electricity. Additionally, copper is a durable and long-lasting material, making it a reliable choice for conducting electricity. It is also readily available and cost-effective.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using a copper rod on two rails?

One potential disadvantage of using a copper rod on two rails is the risk of corrosion. Over time, exposure to moisture and other elements can cause the copper to corrode, affecting its conductivity. However, this can be prevented by using protective coatings or regular maintenance.

5. Where is the copper rod on two rails commonly used?

The copper rod on two rails is commonly used in various electrical applications, such as power distribution systems, electric motors, and generators. It is also used in household appliances, electronics, and industrial machinery that require the use of electricity.