Coriolis Effect on Water in a Sink

In summary, the problem involves estimating the velocity of water and the corresponding acceleration it will experience due to the Coriolis effect. The formula F=ma=-2m(wv) is used, where w is the angular velocity. For the first question, the mass cancels out and the equation becomes a = -2(wv). The angular velocity can be approximated using the spinning Earth's angular velocity. For the second question, the formula v^2=2ad can be used, but it is not taught in class. It is unclear what other formula can be used to find the distance over which the water will be deflected to the right.
Concentrate

Homework Statement

v = 0.05m/s (was told to estimate the velocity of water)

a)What is the acceleration "a" the water will feel, deflecting it to the right (if the sink is to the northern hemisphere)

b)Across the size of the sink, over what distance would the water be deflected to the right at this rate of acceleration?

Homework Equations

F= -2m(wv) = ma

where w is angular velocity (measured radians per second)

The Attempt at a Solution

For question a), I can do the problem if I estimate the w, which is angular velocity. This is because F= ma = -2m(wv).
The mass cancels out, so the equation becomes:
a = -2(wv)
What I'm not sure is if there is a sure answer for angular velocity, since the question only tells me to estimate the velocity of the water and didn't tell me to estimate the angular velocity. If there is an actual angular velocity, I would appreciate someone pointing me in the right direction.

For question b), I've never seen a question like this. I know the formula v2=2ad from physics 12, so I can plug in the velocity and acceleration from the previous question, but I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use this formula because we weren't taught it in class.

From the given formula that we had to work with (Coriolis force formula), I can't seem to find anything to do with distance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would assume for angular velocity you use the spinning Earth's angular velocity since this is all about the Coriollis affect. For the second part maybe someone else can have some input on it, not sure what other formula you can use there.

Thank you JoeyStorm. I was thinking that too, but I thought the angular velocity needed to be the speed in which the water rotated. I guess your way makes more sense then mine.

What is the Coriolis effect and how does it work?

The Coriolis effect is the apparent deflection of objects, such as air or water, on the Earth's surface due to the Earth's rotation. It is caused by the Earth's rotation creating a force known as the Coriolis force, which deflects objects to the right in the Northern Hemisphere and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere.

What is the relationship between the Coriolis effect and weather patterns?

The Coriolis effect plays a significant role in shaping weather patterns around the world. It is responsible for the formation of large-scale weather systems, such as hurricanes and cyclones, by deflecting air currents and causing them to rotate.

Does the Coriolis effect impact objects other than air and water on Earth?

While the Coriolis effect is most commonly associated with the movement of air and water, it can also impact other objects on Earth's surface, such as airplanes and missiles. In these cases, the Coriolis effect can cause these objects to deviate from their intended paths.

How does the Coriolis effect differ between the Northern and Southern Hemispheres?

The Coriolis effect is strongest at the Earth's poles and decreases as you move towards the equator. In the Northern Hemisphere, objects are deflected to the right, while in the Southern Hemisphere, they are deflected to the left. The Coriolis effect is not present at the equator.

Can the Coriolis effect impact everyday activities?

While the Coriolis effect may seem like a complex scientific phenomenon, it does not have a noticeable impact on everyday activities. Its effects are only significant on large-scale weather patterns and objects that travel long distances, such as airplanes and missiles.