Could gravity be a convergence of waves?

In summary, the conversation discusses different ideas and theories about the concept of gravity. One person questions the commonly used analogy of a heavy ball on a bed sheet and suggests that gravity may actually be caused by waves in space time. Another person points out that there is no mathematical evidence to support this theory. The conversation also touches on the difficulty of explaining the three-dimensional nature of gravity and the limitations of personal theories without mathematical evidence.
cookertron
I was just watching a television program about gravity today and it got me wondering what gravity was exactly.

Most analogies used to describe gravity are of a heavy ball on a bed sheet. The ball creates a depression in the sheet and objects placed on the sheet will fall in towards the ball.
My problem with that idea is that it uses gravity itself for the demonstration and so is relatively pointless. Not only that but gravity appears not to be two dimensional like the bed sheet.

My idea (at least I think it's my idea) is, what if gravity doesn't bend space like the weight on the sheet but instead matter is herded together by waves in space time.

The effect of orbit is merely an illusion created by fluctuations in the waves. While that might be a coincidence too great it does leave thought for the source of the waves.

Your thought's will be well received :)

Space news on Phys.org
There is no math to support your guess. Not to sound rude, but I could just as easily say, "Maybe matter is just really friendly".

You are right, gravity is not two dimensional like the bed sheet, and physicists understand this, but it is more difficult to try to explain that model as if there were an infinite number of bed sheets in all orientations around the object. The "gravity well" isn't in a particular orientation, it is a three dimensional distortion of space

Travis_King said:
There is no math to support your guess. Not to sound rude, but I could just as easily say, "Maybe matter is just really friendly".

I know, what if I drew a diagram lol.

I don't think I'd ever be able to calculate the maths for my theory however put me in closed room with a typewriter to bash for long enough and I might come up with something.

Please reread the PF rules on personal theories.

I would say that while your idea is interesting and thought-provoking, it is not currently supported by scientific evidence. Gravity is a fundamental force of nature that has been extensively studied and described by mathematical equations. It is not simply a result of waves in space-time, but rather a consequence of the curvature of space-time caused by massive objects.

The analogy of the ball on a bed sheet is often used to help visualize the concept of gravity, but it is not meant to be a literal representation. In reality, the curvature of space-time is a three-dimensional phenomenon that is difficult to visualize.

Furthermore, the idea that orbit is merely an illusion created by fluctuations in waves is not consistent with our understanding of orbital mechanics. The laws of orbital motion, such as Kepler's laws, have been well-tested and confirmed through observations and experiments.

That being said, as a scientist, I always encourage creative thinking and exploration of new ideas. It is possible that in the future, new evidence or theories may emerge that could challenge our current understanding of gravity. But for now, the convergence of waves is not a widely accepted explanation for the phenomenon of gravity.

1. What is the theory behind the idea of gravity being a convergence of waves?

The theory proposes that gravity is not a force of attraction between masses, but rather a result of the curvature of space and time caused by the interaction of gravitational waves.

2. How is this theory different from the traditional understanding of gravity?

The traditional understanding of gravity is based on Newton's law of gravitation, which states that gravity is a force between two objects with mass. The convergence of waves theory suggests that gravity is not a force, but rather a consequence of the shape of spacetime.

3. What evidence supports the idea of gravity being a convergence of waves?

One piece of evidence is the detection of gravitational waves by the Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) in 2015. This supports the existence of gravitational waves, which are a crucial aspect of the convergence of waves theory.

4. Are there any experiments being conducted to test this theory?

Yes, there are ongoing experiments such as the European Space Agency's LISA mission, which aims to directly detect and measure gravitational waves in space. There are also experiments being conducted at the Large Hadron Collider to search for any hints of a gravitational wave background.

5. What are the potential implications of this theory if it is proven to be true?

If this theory is proven to be true, it would revolutionize our understanding of gravity and have significant implications for our understanding of the universe. It could potentially lead to new technologies and open up new avenues for research in the field of astrophysics.