1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could I get some help on this vector value function?

1. Jan 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A fighter plane, which can only shoot bullets straight ahead, travels along the path r(t) = <5 - t, 21 - t^2, 3 - (t^3/27)>. Show that there is precisely one time t at which the pilot can hit a target located at the origin.

2. Relevant equations

I think I am supposed to use a form of the equation for vector parametrization for a tangent line at r(t) = L(t) = r(t) + t[r'(t)].

3. The attempt at a solution

I computed the derivative of r(t): r'(t) = <-1, -2t, -(1/9)t^2>. My book shows examples, but they all have a t value to compute the equation at. I don't quite understand how to find a line that goes through the origin that is tangent to where the fighter is straight ahead, since I don't know that spot either. I graphed it on a 3D parameter graph so I could visualize what is going on, but how do I find these settings?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the pilot can hit the origin the vector r(t) and the vector r'(t) must be parallel and pointed in opposite directions. So r(t)=k*r'(t). Write out that vector equation, giving you three equations in k and t, pick two of them and solve for t.

4. Jan 25, 2009 #3
    Thank you very much. I was able to solve the problem, but for study purposes, what is the significance of setting a k in there?

5. Jan 25, 2009 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just expressing that one vector is a constant multiple of the other. That's what it means to be parallel.

6. Jan 25, 2009 #5
    Perfect. Thank you very much for your help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?