Is the Coefficient of Friction the Key to Solving This Mechanics Problem?

• Thread starter charlesc56
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Teacher
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in classical mechanics involving a cylinder on a plank and the condition for rolling without slipping. The attempted solution and the teacher's solution differ, but it is determined that the teacher's solution is correct due to a mistake in the calculation of the moment of inertia. The correct answer is μ ≥ a0/3g.
charlesc56
1. Homework Statement

This is a relatively simple problem in classical mechanics, but my attempt at a solution seems to conflict with the result my teacher announced.

The problem is as follows:
A homogeneous cylinder with mass M and radius R lies at rest on a plank. The plank is then moved horizontally to one side with acceleration A0. What is the condition of the coefficient of friction to allow rolling without slipping?

My teacher announced the solution to be [itex]\mu[/itex]s [itex]\geq[/itex] a0/(3g)

2. Homework Equations

[itex]\alpha[/itex] * r = a (rolling without slipping)
[itex]\sum[/itex] [itex]\tau[/itex] = I * [itex]\alpha[/itex]
fstatic [itex]\leq[/itex] [itex]\mu[/itex]s Mg
a = fs / m - a0 (in the non-inertial frame of reference following the plank)
I = (1/2)MR2 (moment of inertia for a homogeneous cylinder)

3. The Attempt at a Solution

The only torque on the cylinder must be the friction force, so:
R*fs = I [itex]\alpha[/itex]
By applying the rolling without slipping condition (with a being the acceleration due to rolling) and the moment of inertia we get:
R*fs = (1/2)MR^2 * (a/R) [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] fs = (1/2)*m*a.

Now the acceleration in the non-inertial frame of reference (if I'm not mistaking) is described by a = fs / m - a0 , so that means:

fs = (1/2)*m*a [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] fs = (1/2)*(fs / m - a0 ) * M [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] fs = -a0 * M

Finally if the motion has to be possible this condition has to be true: fstatic [itex]\leq[/itex] [itex]\mu[/itex]s Mg , so :
-a0 * M [itex]\leq[/itex] [itex]\mu[/itex]s Mg (ops, there is a sign error, but this isn't that important) [itex] \Rightarrow[/itex] [itex]\mu[/itex]s [itex]\geq[/itex] (a0/g).

This is not what my teacher reported. What's wrong? :P

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't follow the middle of your argument. It seems simpler to me.
The torque required to follow the linear acceleration is
T = I*α
Ff*R = ½mR²*a/R
μmgR = ½mR*a
μg = a/2
μ = a/(2g) or greater.
Curious that it falls in between your answer and the "right" one!

Hi Delphi,
Thanks for your reply. Your deduction is right, but we have to express the coefficient in terms of a0 (the acceleration of the plank) and not just a (the acceleration of the cylinder ON the plank - which is due to rotation)

Any ideas then? ;)

Your teacher is right. Here's your mistake:
charlesc56 said:
I = (1/2)MR2 (moment of inertia for a homogeneous cylinder)
That's the moment of inertia for a cylinder rotating about the central axis. That is not the axis of rotation if you want to treat this as pure rotation. If you want to use that formula for the moment of inertia you also need to consider the translational acceleration of the cylinder. Either way (pure rotation about some non-central axis (which one?) or rotation about the central axis + translation of the center of mass), you will arrive at your teacher's answer if you do the math right.

Thanks a lot D H. I appreciate it =)

1. Could my teacher be wrong about the information they are teaching?

It is possible for any human to make a mistake, including teachers. However, teachers are trained professionals who have dedicated their careers to educating others. They have typically studied and researched extensively in their subject areas, and their knowledge is constantly evaluated and updated. Therefore, it is unlikely that your teacher is intentionally teaching incorrect information.

2. How can I tell if my teacher is wrong?

The best way to determine if your teacher is wrong is to do your own research and fact-check the information they are teaching. Look for reliable sources and cross-reference the information. If you find discrepancies, respectfully bring it up to your teacher and ask for clarification.

3. What should I do if I think my teacher is wrong?

If you believe your teacher is wrong about a certain topic or piece of information, it is important to approach the situation respectfully. Share your concerns with your teacher and provide evidence to support your perspective. It is also helpful to have an open mind and be willing to listen to your teacher's explanation and potentially learn something new.

4. Is it okay to question my teacher's knowledge?

Yes, it is absolutely okay to question your teacher's knowledge. In fact, asking questions and seeking clarification is an important part of the learning process. Just be sure to do so respectfully and with an open mind.

5. What if my teacher is wrong and refuses to admit it?

If you believe your teacher is wrong and they refuse to admit it, it is important to seek guidance from other sources, such as other teachers, textbooks, or online resources. It is also helpful to have a conversation with your teacher and respectfully explain your concerns. If the issue persists, you may want to bring it up to a school administrator for further assistance.