Could Someone Check This Answer?

• Thread starter kitz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the radius of a thin hoop in order to support it with a horizontal nail and have it make one complete small-angle oscillation every 2.0 seconds. The speaker explains the formula for finding the period of a physical pendulum and how to use it to find the radius of a hoop. They also discuss the moment of inertia and using the parallel-axis theorem to adjust it for spinning the hoop around a spot on the rim instead of its center.
kitz
Hello!

I did this problem and have gotten it wrong-- but my math is right. Maybe I'm missing something? Here's the question:

We want to support a thin hoop by a horizontal nail and have the hoop make one complete small-angle oscillation each 2.0 s. What must the hoop's radius be?

So this is a physical pendulum, and in order to find the radius, I need to know the period. The period is found by:

[tex]T=2\pi\sqrt{\displaystyle{\frac{I}{mgd}}}[/tex]
Where I is the moment of inertia, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and d is the distance from the pivot point to the center of gravity.

For a hoop, the moment of inertia is: [tex]I=MR^2[/tex]
And the center of gravity is in the center of the hoop, so d is the radius.

So with that information, I set up the following:

[tex]T=2\pi\sqrt{\displaystyle{\frac{MR^2}{MgR}}}[/tex]
[tex]T=2\pi\sqrt{\displaystyle{\frac{R}{g}}}[/tex]

And in plugging in the values, I get:

[tex]2=2\pi\sqrt{\displaystyle{\frac{R}{9.8}}}[/tex]
Solving for R, I get .9929475

Which, when I plug into my equation, I get very close to 2 for my period. However, this is incorrect...

Any ideas as to why?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
That makes sense. How would I go about finding the moment of inertia about the nail?

...This is a longshot, but would the moment of inertia be 2MR^2??
(using the parallel-axis theorem...)

...There was a reply here a minute ago... ...That suddenly disappeared...

Sorry, that was me. I wasn't sure about my answer because I haven't done this stuff in a while, but you can try it if you want. And yes, that is the correct moment of inertia around the nail.

Yes, you're right, you have to adjust the MI by adding the appropriate amount because you're spinning the hoop around a spot on the rim instead of its center.

If I recall, the formula for adjusting the MI is to take the formula you look up, and add to it [tex]md^2[/tex], where "m" is the mass of the object, and "d" is the distance away from the center of mass. So you get [tex]MR^2+MR^2 = 2MR^2[/tex], like you suspected.

Carl

Last edited:

1. What is the purpose of asking someone to check an answer?

The purpose of asking someone to check an answer is to ensure accuracy and correctness. By having someone else review your work, they can catch any mistakes or errors that you may have missed. This can help improve the overall quality of your work and provide a second opinion on your findings.

2. Who should I ask to check my answer?

You can ask anyone who you trust to provide honest and constructive feedback. This can be a colleague, mentor, or even a friend who is knowledgeable about the subject matter. It is important to choose someone who is knowledgeable and can provide valuable insights.

3. How do I know if my answer is correct?

The best way to know if your answer is correct is to double-check your work and compare it to reliable sources. You can also ask someone else to review your answer and provide feedback. Additionally, conducting experiments or research to verify your answer can also help confirm its accuracy.

4. Is it okay to ask someone to check my answer more than once?

Yes, it is completely acceptable to ask someone to check your answer more than once. In fact, it is encouraged to seek multiple opinions and feedback to improve the accuracy and quality of your work. Just be sure to thank the person for their time and effort in helping you.

5. What should I do if the person checking my answer disagrees with my findings?

If the person checking your answer disagrees with your findings, it is important to have an open and respectful discussion about the differences in opinions. You can ask for their reasoning and provide evidence to support your findings. It is also helpful to seek feedback from other sources to get a well-rounded understanding of the topic.