Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Could you make a fluorescent lamp with krypton?

1. Apr 8, 2012 #1
    Could you make a fluorescent lamp with krypton instead of neon or mercury? The wavelength doesnt really matter its just if its actually possible and if it is what pressures and voltages should be used.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2012 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wavelength absolutely matters. Mercury vapor is used because it produces a lot of UV light when excited by a current. The UV excites the powdered phosphors that coat the inside of the tube, which then glow with a spectrum that appears white to the eye. I don't think neon and krypton lamps do the same.

4. Apr 8, 2012 #3
    i meant it doesnt really matter to me, but think neon and mercury lights work on the same principal you just add differend additives to shift the wavelenghts. But my question was: if you can make a neon lamp /which you can/ how differend would be the properties and requirements of krypton lamp

5. Apr 8, 2012 #4

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Neon and mercury are not fluorescent lamps. They are discharge lamps. You can buy a krypton discharge lamp commercially. They are extremely expensive - as is krypton.

6. Apr 8, 2012 #5
    Hey, money is no object when you are trying to kill superman. ;)

7. Apr 8, 2012 #6
    thanks...any other use for krypton?

8. Apr 8, 2012 #7

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Aside from the difference between fluorescence and ionization (arc lamps ionize the atoms)-

http://amglo.com/krypton_arc_laser.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook