Coulomb's Law and Electrostatic Forces Problem

In summary, the electrostatic force on the charge at the origin is 1.42 x 10-5 Newtons and it is pushing the charge downwards.
cheerspens

Homework Statement

Three charges are arranged as shown in the picture I attached. Find the magnitude and direction of the electrostatic force on the charge at the origin.

Homework Equations

I know that Coulomb's Law must be applied.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've drawn a force diagram with FCB pointing to the left and FAB pointing down. I've also broke the vectors into components using Coulomb's Law and added them together. By doing this, I got 1.42 x 10-5 [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] + 8.54 [itex]\hat{y}[/itex]. From here what do I do to get an answer?

I know the answer is supposed to be 1.38 x 10-5 at 77.5 degrees so I need help with how to get there.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 420
Physics news on Phys.org
hi cheerspens! :smile:
cheerspens said:
… I got 1.42 x 10-5 [itex]\hat{x}[/itex] + 8.54 [itex]\hat{y}[/itex].

i don't :redface:

how did you get that?​

I solved for these vectors then added them:

FCB=[(9x109|(6x10-9)(5x10-9)|) / (.32)][cos 180][itex]\widehat{x}[/itex] + [(9x109|(6x10-9)(5x10-9)|) / (.32)][sin 180][itex]\widehat{y}[/itex]

FAB=[(9x109|(-3x10-9)(5x10-9)|) / (.12)][cos 198.43][itex]\widehat{x}[/itex] +[(9x109|(-3x10-9)(5x10-9)|) / (.12)][sin 198.43][itex]\widehat{y}[/itex]

hi cheerspens! :smile:

(just got up :zzz: …)

where does 198.43° come from? :confused:

Good morning! :smile:

So I plugged the 198.43 degrees in for some reason but that was the angle at which the ball is being pushed by the other balls.

So then in the vectors I had before, I fixed the degree in the second one to 270 degrees but then I get 2.7x10-5[itex]\widehat{x}[/itex] + 0 [itex]\widehat{y}[/itex] and that still does not match the correct answer.

let's see …

it's |-9*10-9 (6*5/.09y + 3*5/.01x)|

= |-9*10-7 (2*5/3y + 3*5/1x)|

= 9*10-7 √(100/9 + 225)

= 9*10-7 √(111.11 + 225)

… hmm, that's not the answer in the book :redface:

(though the angle is correct, isn't it?)

The angle I got isn't even correct. According to the book it should be 77.5 degrees below the -x axis.

Related to Coulomb's Law and Electrostatic Forces Problem

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged objects is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How is Coulomb's Law related to electrostatic forces?

Coulomb's Law is the mathematical representation of the electrostatic force between two charged particles. It helps us understand and calculate the magnitude and direction of the force between two charged objects.

3. What are the units of measurement for charge in Coulomb's Law?

The SI unit for charge is the Coulomb (C). In Coulomb's Law, the charges are typically represented as Q1 and Q2, with units of C. The sign of the charge also indicates the type of charge (positive or negative).

4. How does distance affect the electrostatic force between two charged particles?

According to Coulomb's Law, the force between two charged objects decreases as the distance between them increases. This is because the force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance. This means that as the distance doubles, the force decreases by a factor of four.

5. Can Coulomb's Law be applied to all types of charged particles?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be applied to any type of charged particle, whether they are stationary or in motion. It is a universal law that applies to all charged objects and has been experimentally verified numerous times.