Find Net Force Neutral Point b/w Q1 & Q2 Charges

In summary, the problem involves finding the location of a third charge, Q3, such that it experiences no net force when placed along the line connecting Q1 and Q2. Using the equation Fe=kq1q2/r^2 and solving for x, two possible solutions are obtained: x = -0.998459 m and x = -0.0384593 m. The correct answer is x = -0.998459 m, considering that Q3 is to the left of Q1 and the question specifies that the answer should be positive if Q3 is to the right of Q1.
Sean1218

Homework Statement

A charge, Q2 = -7.00x10^-6 C, is 8.00 cm to the right of charge Q1 = 6.00x10^-6 C. Where can a third charge be placed, along the line connecting Q1 and Q2, such that it experiences no net force? Give distances relative to Q1 and use a plus sign if the third charge is to the right of Q1

Homework Equations

Fe=kq1q2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I did q1/x^2 = q2/(x+0.08)^2 and solved for x. I got a quadratic which gave me roots 0.998459 and -0.0384593. This is assuming that the order is Q3 then Q1 then Q2.

If I do it with the order as Q1 - Q2 - Q3, then I get two negative roots (the more negative one still matches up with 0.998459 if I take into account the 0.08 between Q1 and Q2).

So, would my answer be -0.998459 m because Q3 is to the left of Q1 and the question said to make it positive is Q3 is to the right? I have one try left to get this right, but I'm not confident this is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org

Looks right to me.

1. What is the definition of net force?

Net force is the sum of all the forces acting on an object. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How do you calculate the net force between two charges?

To calculate the net force between two charges, use Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of the charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the neutral point between two charges?

The neutral point is the point between two charges where the net force acting on a third charge is zero. This means that the third charge will experience no acceleration and will remain at rest.

4. How do you find the neutral point between two charges?

To find the neutral point between two charges, calculate the distance between the charges and divide it in half. This point will be equidistant from both charges and will be the neutral point.

5. What factors affect the location of the neutral point?

The location of the neutral point is affected by the magnitude and distance of the two charges. The closer the charges are to each other, the closer the neutral point will be to the charges. Additionally, the larger the magnitude of the charges, the closer the neutral point will be to the larger charge.