Coulomb's Law: Solving Problems with Electric Charges

In summary, The conversation is about a figure that shows four charges and the resultant force on q1. The person asking the question is confused about the angle and the masses given in the problem. They also mention a dog picture distracting them while solving the problem. They state their attempt at the answer and how it was marked incorrect. Finally, they ask for clarification on the directions of two different forces.
moeug1999
Homework Statement
Consider the following figure. (The four charges are at the corners of a square. Take q = 1.07 µC and Q = 2.09 µC.)

(a) In the figure, what are the magnitude and direction of the resultant force on q1? (Take q1 as the origin of the coordinate system and measure the angle counterclockwise from the positive x-axis, which is directed towards the right.)

(b) What is the resultant force on the center of mass of the four charges?
Relevant Equations
The Coulombs law equation = k |q1||q2|/r^2
unnamed.jpg

This is my attempt but they said my answer is wrong

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 10.35.46 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-01-31 at 10.35.46 AM.png
    11.1 KB · Views: 158
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello moeug , :welcome: !
moeug1999 said:
In the figure, what are the magnitude and direction of the resultant force on q1?
This is my attempt
I don't see an angle answer in your attempt ?

1580485381865.png

(the dog picture distracts from reading and checking the math)

(b) What is the resultant force on the center of mass of the four charges?
Is this serious ? Masses are not given and there is no question of a force out of the blue at any point. Was teacher in gross error here or is the problem statement misquoted ?

there are no masses given at all :(

BvU said:
Hello moeug , :welcome: !

I don't see an angle answer in your attempt ?

View attachment 256381
(the dog picture distracts from reading and checking the math)
my answer was -33 degrees but they said it was wrong :( and sorry about the paper

What about the directions of F 1,2 x and F 1,4 x

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law in physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How do you calculate the force between two charges using Coulomb's Law?

The force between two charges, F, can be calculated using the equation F = k(q1q2)/r2, where k is the Coulomb's constant (k = 8.99x109 Nm2/C2), q1 and q2 are the charges of the two particles in Coulombs (C), and r is the distance between the two particles in meters (m).

3. Can Coulomb's Law be used to calculate the force between more than two charges?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be extended to calculate the force between multiple charges. The total force on a charge due to a group of charges is the vector sum of the individual forces between the charge and each of the other charges.

4. What is the direction of the force between two charges?

The force between two charges is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. The direction of the force is along the line connecting the two charges and is either attractive or repulsive depending on the signs of the charges.

5. How does the distance between two charges affect the force between them?

The force between two charges is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This means that as the distance between the charges increases, the force decreases. In other words, the force decreases rapidly as the distance between the charges increases.