Understanding Coulomb's Law and Vector Components

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with using Coulomb's law to find the resultant force of two electrical forces acting on a point charge. The person asking for help has made a mistake in calculating the forces, specifically using centimeters instead of meters. The conversation also touches on the importance of correctly labeling directions and using the correct signs when calculating components of forces.
verd
I have a question that I've worked out and am having a bit of difficulty with. The problem is:
http://synthdriven.com/images/deletable/help3.jpg"

This is what I've worked out:
(sorry, it's a bit faint.)
http://synthdriven.com/images/deletable/help2.jpg"

What I did. I drew a diagram of the electrical forces acting on the point charge in question. I used Coloumb's law to find F for each. I then broke F1 and F2 down into vector components. It's obvious from the diagram that the x-components are going to cancel each other out... So that should leave a resultant force going in the -y direction. Can someone look at this and tell me what I've done wrong? According to this I should be getting a 0 resultant force. Which is stupid.

I've been long out of practice when it comes to vectors, but I think what I've done wrong lies more around the F1 and F2 magnitude... Is it the signs??

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello verd,

if you apply the scalar form of Coulomb's law, and that's what I think you were trying to do, you shouldn't get a (-) sign for any of the forces.

[tex]|F|=k\frac{|q_1||q_2|}{r^2}[/tex]

In this case it is ok to calculate the norm of F1 and F2 and the norm of their components, but always make it clear in which directions the forces are acting in your sketch (as you did).

As a formal sidenote: if you insert explicit values into your equations you'd have to write the correct unit everytime, not only in your endresult.

You could also use the vector form of Coulomb's law right from the start.

[tex]\vec F=k\frac{q_1q_2}{r^2}\vec e_r[/tex]

[tex]\vec e_r=\frac{\vec r}{r}[/tex]

It's the [itex]\vec e_r[/itex] that differs when calculating the forces. That's where you get the correct signs for their components.

Regards,

nazzard

Last edited:
...Alright, so... In using the correct version of Coulomb's law, the one with the absolute values around the charge, and applying signs to direction, I get:

F1x=-0.00084
F1y=-0.00048

F2x=0.00084
F2y=-0.00048

Which would cancel the x-component and leave -0.00048-0.00048 for the y, which would equal -0.00096. Is this correct? Do I need to leave to leave the sign on that one? Or is it 0.00096?Thanks for your help

Hello vred,

Let's call the resulting force F.

[tex]\vec F=\vec F_1 + \vec F_2[/tex]

The y-component would be:

[tex]F_y=\vec F \vec e_y=-0.00096\,N[/tex]

It's correct to have the (-) sign in your final answer.

Regards,

nazzard

Last edited:
...So the resultant force, F is going to be -0.00096... I tried that and it doesn't seem to be correct.

I mean, the resultant x-component is 0 and the resultant y-component is -0.00096. Right? So the resultant force F is going to be -0.00096 in the y-direction.

Am I doing this wrong?

verd said:
...So the resultant force, F is going to be -0.00096... I tried that and it doesn't seem to be correct.

I mean, the resultant x-component is 0 and the resultant y-component is -0.00096. Right? So the resultant force F is going to be -0.00096 in the y-direction.

Am I doing this wrong?
Your mistake is that you must use the distances in meters, not in centimeters.

nrqed said:
Your mistake is that you must use the distances in meters, not in centimeters.

Ah, thank you nrqed. I just had a look at the sketch again and noticed that there's something wrong :rolleyes:

So verd, do you get 9,6 N as the resulting force pointing at the negative y-direction?

Last edited:
verd said:
...Alright, so... In using the correct version of Coulomb's law, the one with the absolute values around the charge, and applying signs to direction, I get:

F1x=-0.00084
F1y=-0.00048

F2x=0.00084
F2y=-0.00048

Which would cancel the x-component and leave -0.00048-0.00048 for the y, which would equal -0.00096. Is this correct? Do I need to leave to leave the sign on that one? Or is it 0.00096?

Thanks for your help

So a few comments. As you know by now, the *magnitudes* of the forces must always be positive. That was a mistake in your written notes.

About the sign of the components, it is possible to always use [itex] F_x = +F cos \theta [/itex] and [itex] Fy = +F sin \theta [/itex] (where F is the magnitude so it's positive), BUT if you use that, you must always use an angle measured from the positive x direction with the convention that counterclockwise is positive.

However, if you use different definitions of the angle (as you did here), there you have to include by hand a sign + or - in the equation, depending on where your angle is.

EDIT: Not only the sign must be put by hand but of course whether one uses a sin or a cos depends on where the angle is measured.
Patrick

Last edited:
Awesome. Yeah. Thank you. I miss details like that. I'm sorry. Thanks again guys.

1. How do you draw a Coulomb's Law diagram?

To draw a Coulomb's Law diagram, first, draw two points to represent the two charged particles. Then, draw an arrow from one particle to the other, indicating the direction of the electric field. Next, draw a perpendicular line from the midpoint of the arrow to represent the electric force. Finally, label the diagram with the appropriate values for the charges and distances.

2. What do the arrows in a Coulomb's Law diagram represent?

The arrows in a Coulomb's Law diagram represent the direction and strength of the electric field between two charged particles. The length of the arrow indicates the strength of the electric field, with longer arrows representing stronger fields.

3. How do you calculate the electric force in a Coulomb's Law diagram?

The electric force in a Coulomb's Law diagram can be calculated using the formula F = k(q1q2)/r2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q1 and q2 are the charges of the particles, and r is the distance between them.

4. Can you draw a Coulomb's Law diagram for more than two charged particles?

Yes, Coulomb's Law diagrams can be drawn for any number of charged particles. The process is the same, with each particle's electric field and force represented by a separate arrow and perpendicular line. It may become more complex to calculate the force with multiple particles, as the formula will need to be applied for each pair of charged particles.

5. How can Coulomb's Law diagrams be used in real-life situations?

Coulomb's Law diagrams are useful in understanding and predicting the behavior of electrically charged particles. They can be used to design and analyze electrical circuits, calculate the force between charged particles, and understand the behavior of objects with a net charge. They are also used in fields such as engineering, physics, and chemistry.