1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Coulumb's Law Question

1. Oct 6, 2006 #1
    Question:
    Two pith balls are free to float in space. If only gravitational and electrical forces are acting, and the balls have identical masses and charges (q = 4e), find the mass of the balls if they are moving at constant velocity.

I'm pretty sure that there is something I'm missing because when I try to solve for the mass, there are just too many variables to work with. Here's my work:

[​IMG]

Known values:
    k = 9.0 x 10^9 Nm²/C²
    G = 6.67 x 10^-11 N /m²kg²
    q = 4(1.60 x 10^-19 C)

Otherwise, there are 3 variables missing if we solve for m ...

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 6, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You set the distance equal... that's not very meaningful! Instead, what must be true about the forces if the balls move at constant velocity?

4. Oct 6, 2006 #3
    Ohh! Constant velocity indicate that Fnet = 0. But I don't understand how that applies here. Surely, Fg and Fe cannot equal to 0 o_O

5. Oct 6, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

They don't have to equal zero, but they have to add to zero. The net force on each ball must be zero.

6. Oct 6, 2006 #5
    I can't believe I didn't realize this. Nonetheless, thank you very much :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?