Couple light into photonic crystal fiber

In summary, the conversation is about a hollow core fiber with a 20um core and a Numerical Aperture of 0.03, being used with a Ti:Sapphire laser with a spot size of 2-2.5mm and a focal length of 50mm. However, only a very small amount of power (6uw) can be achieved and the reason is unknown. The person is seeking suggestions and the other participant is asking for more information about the fiber design and loss at the laser wavelength.
jlyu
I have one hollow core fiber, the core is around 20um, Numerical Aperture is
0.03. The spot size of Ti:Sapphire laser is around 2~2.5mm. So I used focal
length 50mm. But only very few power can be achieved (6uw). I wonder
the reason. Could someone please give me some suggestions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
jlyu said:
I have one hollow core fiber, the core is around 20um, Numerical Aperture is
0.03. The spot size of Ti:Sapphire laser is around 2~2.5mm. So I used focal
length 50mm. But only very few power can be achieved (6uw). I wonder
the reason. Could someone please give me some suggestions?

Hi There,

Maybe I can help you. Can you give a bit more information about the fiber you have? A 20µm core for a 800nm range hollow-core fibers sounds very big. Do you know if this is a 7 or a 19 cell design?

/Kim Hansen, NKT Photonics

Actually, I do not think it belongs to 7 or 19 cell design. :frown: It is made by some other research group.

No worries. We would be happy to help even if the fiber is not made by us. Do you have a picture of the cross section of the fiber? Also, do you know what the loss in the fiber is at your laser wavelength?

There are a few possible reasons for the low power achieved in your experiment. One possibility is that the numerical aperture of your fiber is too small to efficiently couple the light from your laser into the fiber. A larger numerical aperture would allow for a wider range of angles of incident light to be coupled into the fiber, resulting in a higher power output. Another possibility is that the spot size of your laser may not be optimal for coupling into the fiber. Ideally, the spot size should be matched to the core size of the fiber for efficient coupling. You may want to try using a lens with a different focal length to achieve a better match.

Additionally, the quality of the fiber itself could also be a factor. If the fiber has impurities or defects, it could lead to losses and reduce the power output. It may be worth trying a different fiber or cleaning the current one to see if that improves the power output.

Another consideration is the alignment of the laser and the fiber. Even small misalignments can significantly reduce the power coupled into the fiber. Make sure that the laser and fiber are properly aligned and that the fiber is securely fixed in place.

Finally, it is important to consider the power limitations of the components in your setup. Your laser may not be able to output a higher power, or the fiber may not be able to handle higher powers without damage. It may be helpful to consult the specifications of your equipment to determine the maximum power that can be safely used.

In summary, there are several factors that could be contributing to the low power output in your experiment. It is important to carefully consider the numerical aperture, spot size, fiber quality, alignment, and power limitations to optimize the coupling of light into your photonic crystal fiber. I hope these suggestions are helpful in improving your results.

1. What is a photonic crystal fiber?

A photonic crystal fiber is a type of optical fiber that contains a periodic array of tiny air holes running along its entire length. This unique structure allows for the confinement and manipulation of light in a highly controlled manner, making it useful for various applications in photonics and telecommunications.

2. How is light coupled into a photonic crystal fiber?

Light can be coupled into a photonic crystal fiber using various methods, such as butt-coupling, prism-coupling, and lens-coupling. In butt-coupling, the fiber is simply placed in direct contact with a light source, while in prism-coupling, the fiber is positioned at a specific angle to a prism to couple light into the fiber. Lens-coupling involves using lenses to focus light into the fiber.

3. What are some advantages of using photonic crystal fibers?

Photonic crystal fibers have several advantages over traditional optical fibers. They have a larger core size, which allows for higher light intensities and greater power handling capacity. They also have a wider range of operating wavelengths, low loss, and high flexibility, making them suitable for various applications in telecommunications, spectroscopy, and sensing.

4. Can photonic crystal fibers be used for data transmission?

Yes, photonic crystal fibers can be used for data transmission. They have low transmission losses, allowing for efficient data transfer over long distances. They are also highly customizable, with the ability to control and manipulate the properties of light within the fiber, making them ideal for use in high-speed data transmission systems.

5. What are some potential applications of photonic crystal fibers?

Photonic crystal fibers have a wide range of potential applications, including telecommunications, sensing, and imaging. They can be used to create highly sensitive sensors for detecting various physical and chemical parameters, as well as for high-resolution imaging in medical and scientific fields. They also have potential uses in quantum optics, nonlinear optics, and optical signal processing.