Coupled Oscillators (Electrical Circuit)

In summary: You have two normal modes of vibration, one in which the charges q1 and q2 vary sinusoidally with the same frequency and in phase or out-of phase with each other, and another in which they are not in phase. The voltage across the branch in the middle is given by the sum of the voltages across the two loops. The sum of the voltages across the two loops has to be equal to the source voltage, which is V=L2R2+C2.
roam

Homework Statement

http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/6315/63685525.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

(a) I think since i=dq/dt we will have:

[itex]L_1 \frac{d^2q_1}{dt^2} + R_1 \frac{dq_1}{dt}+ \frac{q_1}{c_1}+ \left( \frac{q_1-q_2}{C} \right) = 0[/itex]

[itex]L_2 \frac{d^2q_2}{dt^2}+ R_2 \frac{dq_2}{dt} + \frac{q_2-q_1}{C} = V_s(t)[/itex]

Are these correct so far?

(b) I'm really confused about this part. I would appreciate any guidance on how to approach this part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi roam! :smile:
roam said:
Are these correct so far?

yes (except you forgot q2/C2)

now look for a linear combination of the two equations that makes the LHS parallel to the RHS :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi roam! :smile:

yes (except you forgot q2/C2)

now look for a linear combination of the two equations that makes the LHS parallel to the RHS :wink:

Hi Tiny-tim!

Thank you very much. That was a typo, I meant:

[itex]L_2 \frac{d^2q_2}{dt^2}+ R_2 \frac{dq_2}{dt} + \frac{q_2}{C_2} + \frac{q_2-q_1}{C} = V_s(t)[/itex]

So, I'm a bit confused about (b) what should a linear combination of the two equations equal to?

d2(aq1 + bq2)/dt2 + C(aq1 + bq2) = … :wink:

tiny-tim said:
d2(aq1 + bq2)/dt2 + C(aq1 + bq2) = … :wink:

Ah, this expression gives the voltage across the branch in the middle. We need to have the two loops to be parallel. So does this expression have to be equal to Vs(t)?

If so, since the sourve voltage is given by the second equation (that gives a normal mode of oscillation with a frequency determined by L2, R2 and C2):

[itex]\frac{d^2(aq_1+bq_2)}{dt^2} + c(aq_1+bq_2) = L_2 \frac{d^2q_2}{dt^2}+ R_2 \frac{dq_2}{dt} + \frac{q_2}{C_2} + \frac{q_2-q_1}{C}[/itex]

But I tried different values for the constants a and b, there is no linear combination that makes the expression equal to Vs(t). :confused:

If it doesn't have to be equal to the source voltage, what could it be equal to?

Last edited:
hi roam :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)

erm :redface:

you have noticed that (b) says that R1 R2 and V are all zero? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
hi roam :smile:

(just got up :zzz:)

erm :redface:

you have noticed that (b) says that R1 R2 and V are all zero? :wink:

Hi Tiny-tim,

Ah, so that equation must equal to zero: d2(aq1 + bq2)/dt2 + C(aq1 + bq2)=0

So this has to be satisfied by the angular frequency of the normal mode of the system?

that equation is a normal mode, isn't it? :smile:

Normal mod means that both charges q1 and q2 vary sinusoidally with the same frequency and in phase or out-of phase with respect to each other.

Substitute the trial solution q1=Asin(ωt) q2=Bsin(ωt) into the equations
[tex]L_1 \frac{d^2q_1}{dt^2} + \frac{q_1}{c_1}+ \left( \frac{q_1-q_2}{C} \right) = 0[/tex]

[tex]L_2 \frac{d^2q_2}{dt^2} + \frac{q_2}{c_2}+ \left( \frac{q_2-q_1}{C} \right) = 0[/tex]

You get two linear equations for the coefficients A, B, and ω.
The determinant of the coefficients has to be zero. You find the possible values of ω from this condition.

isn't that the same? :confused:

tiny-tim said:
isn't that the same? :confused:

I do not understand the question. What is the same as what? This system has got two normal modes. They are solutions of the original system of differential equations.

ehild

the same as finding a and b so that d2(aq1 + bq2)/dt2 + C(aq1 + bq2)=0 ?

tiny-tim said:
the same as finding a and b so that d2(aq1 + bq2)/dt2 + C(aq1 + bq2)=0 ?

The normal mode is a solution, not the way of finding it.
What is C in your equation? If it is a constant, you are right, a normal mode obeys the equation q"+w2q=0, and q is a linear combination of q1 and q2. But C means the coupling capacitor in this problem. The notation confuses the OP.

ehild

yes, i meant C a constant

tiny-tim said:
yes, i meant C a constant

Oh, well... To tell the truth, I do not understand your hints. What do you mean on "to make the two loops parallel"?

ehild

ehild said:
Oh, well... To tell the truth, I do not understand your hints. What do you mean on "to make the two loops parallel"?

i didn't say that, roam did, i think he was confused because he'd forgotten that in part (b) the non-harmonic non-homgeneous constants were zero :wink:
roam said:
Ah, this expression gives the voltage across the branch in the middle. We need to have the two loops to be parallel. So does this expression have to be equal to Vs(t)? …

Sorry, that was Roam. You said " LHS parallel to the RHS " left hand side and right hand side of what? Of the circuit?

What do you mean about the question c? Is it enough to write up an equation as you suggested d2(aq1 + bq2)/dt2 + C(aq1 + bq2)=0 or is it needed to write the equations in detail with the parameters L1,L2,C1, C2, C(capacitance) given?

ehild

ehild said:
Sorry, that was Roam. You said " LHS parallel to the RHS " left hand side and right hand side of what? Of the circuit?

no, of the (combined) equation
tiny-tim said:
… another way of saying, look for for the eigenvalues of the matrix :smile:
What do you mean about the question c? Is it enough to write up an equation as you suggested d2(aq1 + bq2)/dt2 + C(aq1 + bq2)=0 or is it needed to write the equations in detail with the parameters L1,L2,C1, C2, C(capacitance) given?

not really following you :confused:

a b and C are constants that have to be found

(or do you mean, is my C the same as the C in the question?

no, that was my mistake, i didn't notice C was already in use :rolleyes:)​

tiny-tim said:
not really following you :confused:

a b and C are constants that have to be found

(or do you mean, is my C the same as the C in the question?

I meant question c, the third c already in this problem. :rofl:

Well, I have to improve my English, I see. :blushing:

Any hint how to find a,b,C? My old-fashion method gives rather ugly expressions for the eigenvalues.

ehild

ehild said:
I meant question c

but there isn't a question c :confused:

tiny-tim said:
but there isn't a question c :confused:

I think he meant the third capacitance, denoted "C" (the other two being C1 and C2). But we need to work out the constants in:

[itex]\frac{d^2(aq_1+bq_2)}{dt^2} + k(aq_1+bq_2) = 0[/itex]

I'm really confused right now. How do I exactly find the equation that must be satisfied by the ω of a normal mode of this system? I'm not sure which way to go...

We eventually have to find explicit expressions for the normal modes of oscillation, but now we are not given any numerical values for the inductances and capacitances.

roam said:
I think he meant the third capacitance, denoted "C" (the other two being C1 and C2). But we need to work out the constants in:

[itex]\frac{d^2(aq_1+bq_2)}{dt^2} + k(aq_1+bq_2) = 0[/itex]

I'm really confused right now. How do I exactly find the equation that must be satisfied by the ω of a normal mode of this system? I'm not sure which way to go...

We eventually have to find explicit expressions for the normal modes of oscillation, but now we are not given any numerical values for the inductances and capacitances.

Sorry, I remembered wrong. So it was question b.

You can write the normal mode frequencies in terms of the parameters, L1,L2,C1,C2,C. Read my post #9. Find the equation for ω. You get a rather ugly expression. I do not think there is a simpler one.

ehild

ehild said:
You can write the normal mode frequencies in terms of the parameters, L1,L2,C1,C2,C. Read my post #9. Find the equation for ω. You get a rather ugly expression. I do not think there is a simpler one.

Thanks. I tried to follow your post #9:

[itex]L_1 \frac{d^2(A \sin (\omega t))}{dt^2}+ \frac{A \sin (\omega t)}{C_1} + \left( \frac{A \sin(\omega t)-B \sin (\omega t)}{C} \right) = 0[/itex]

[itex]-L_1 \omega^2 A \sin (\omega t) + \frac{A \sin (\omega t)}{C_1} + \frac{(A-B) \sin(\omega t)}{C} = 0[/itex]

And the second equation:

[itex]L_2 \frac{d^2 (B \sin (\omega t))}{dt^2} + \frac{B \sin (\omega t)}{C_2} + \left( \frac{B \sin (\omega t)-A \sin(\omega t)}{C} \right)=0[/itex]

[itex]-L_2 \omega^2 B \sin(\omega t) + \frac{B \sin(\omega t)}{C_2} + \frac{(B-A) \sin(\omega t)}{C} = 0[/itex]

Is this what you meant? How exactly do I have to solve for ω in each case? The omegas in the sine arguments are a bit confusing :confused:

You can divide the whole equations with sin(ωt), getting a system of linear equations for A and B.

[tex]-L_1 \omega^2 A + \frac{A }{C_1} + \frac{(A-B) }{C} = 0 [/tex]
[tex]-L_2 \omega^2 B + \frac{B }{C_2} + \frac{(B-A) }{C} = 0[/tex]

Collecting like terms,

[tex](-L_1 \omega^2 + \frac{1 }{C_1} + \frac{1 }{C})A-\frac{1}{C}B = 0 [/tex]
[tex](-L_2 \omega^2 + \frac{1 }{C_2} + \frac{1 }{C})B-\frac{1}{C}A = 0[/tex]

A=0, B=0 is solution (trivial solution) but you want at least one from A and B different from 0. You can determine only the ratio of A and B, one of them is arbitrary, different from zero.

If you studied linear equations, you have to know that for nonzero solution, the determinant of the coefficients must be zero.

If you do not know it yet, find A/B from both equations. They must be equal, which is true only for special values of ω. These are the angular frequencies of the normal modes. Find that equation for ω.

ehild

ehild said:
You can divide the whole equations with sin(ωt), getting a system of linear equations for A and B.

[tex]-L_1 \omega^2 A + \frac{A }{C_1} + \frac{(A-B) }{C} = 0 [/tex]
[tex]-L_2 \omega^2 B + \frac{B }{C_2} + \frac{(B-A) }{C} = 0[/tex]

Collecting like terms,

[tex](-L_1 \omega^2 + \frac{1 }{C_1} + \frac{1 }{C})A-\frac{1}{C}B = 0 [/tex]
[tex](-L_2 \omega^2 + \frac{1 }{C_2} + \frac{1 }{C})B-\frac{1}{C}A = 0[/tex]

A=0, B=0 is solution (trivial solution) but you want at least one from A and B different from 0. You can determine only the ratio of A and B, one of them is arbitrary, different from zero.

If you studied linear equations, you have to know that for nonzero solution, the determinant of the coefficients must be zero.

If you do not know it yet, find A/B from both equations. They must be equal, which is true only for special values of ω. These are the angular frequencies of the normal modes. Find that equation for ω.

ehild

Thank you so much, but the ratio A/B I get from the two equations are not equal. From the first equation I get

[tex]\frac{A}{B} = \frac{1}{\left( -L_1 \omega^2 + \frac{1 }{C_1} + \frac{1}{c} \right) C}[/tex]

And according to the second equation it is:

[tex]\frac{A}{B} = \left( -L_2 \omega^2 + \frac{1 }{C_2} + \frac{1 }{C}) \right) C[/tex]

Shouldn't they be equal? :confused:

I also had another relevant question, once we found the the equation that must be satisfied by the angular frequency of a normal mode of this system, how do we find the actual frequency (the frequency of the system itself at which energy is transferred back and forth between the two loops)?

roam said:
Thank you so much, but the ratio A/B I get from the two equations are not equal. From the first equation I get

[tex]\frac{A}{B} = \frac{1}{\left( -L_1 \omega^2 + \frac{1 }{C_1} + \frac{1}{c} \right) C}[/tex]

And according to the second equation it is:

[tex]\frac{A}{B} = \left( -L_2 \omega^2 + \frac{1 }{C_2} + \frac{1 }{C}) \right) C[/tex]

Shouldn't they be equal? :confused:

Yes, they have to be equal. Find the value of ω which makes them equal, or at least write the equation for ω.

roam said:
I also had another relevant question, once we found the the equation that must be satisfied by the angular frequency of a normal mode of this system, how do we find the actual frequency (the frequency of the system itself at which energy is transferred back and forth between the two loops)?

The system will oscillate with one of those normal-mode frequencies or both.

It is useful to try a numerical solution. Assume that C=1μF, C1=C2=2μF, L1=L2=0.5H.

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
Yes, they have to be equal. Find the value of ω which makes them equal, or at least write the equation for ω.

I tried to solve for an expression for ω by equating the two equations:

[tex]\frac{1}{\left( -L_1 \omega^2 + \frac{1 }{C_1} + \frac{1}{c} \right) C}=\left( -L_2 \omega^2 + \frac{1 }{C_2} + \frac{1 }{C} \right) C[/tex]

But things turn out to be too messy, because I keep getting a few omega terms and one ω4 and I don't see how it can be simplified in order to have a single equation for ω... So, I'm wondering if this is the correct approach?

At this stage we don't know how many millihenries and microfarads are on the inductors and capacitors, that's why I can't find a suitable ω by inspection. Is there another way to solve this?

roam said:
I tried to solve for an expression for ω by equating the two equations:

[tex]\frac{1}{\left( -L_1 \omega^2 + \frac{1 }{C_1} + \frac{1}{c} \right) C}=\left( -L_2 \omega^2 + \frac{1 }{C_2} + \frac{1 }{C} \right) C[/tex]

But things turn out to be too messy, because I keep getting a few omega terms and one ω4 and I don't see how it can be simplified in order to have a single equation for ω... So, I'm wondering if this is the correct approach?

At this stage we don't know how many millihenries and microfarads are on the inductors and capacitors, that's why I can't find a suitable ω by inspection. Is there another way to solve this?

Multiplying the whole equation with the denominator and arranging everything on one side, expanding and collecting like terms, you get a quadratic equation for ω2 in the form pω4+qω2+r=0. I think the problem asks only that equation, not the solution.

Coupled oscillators are not easy things.
You would get a more clear picture of the whole thing by solving a numerical example.

Try C=1μF, C1=C2=2μF, L1=L2=0.5H

ehild

Okay. Thank you very much for all your help, that was very helpful. Cheers.

1. What is a coupled oscillator in an electrical circuit?

A coupled oscillator in an electrical circuit is a system of two or more oscillators that interact with each other through a shared coupling element. This coupling can be through direct electrical connections or through a magnetic field. The oscillators can have different frequencies, but their interactions can cause changes in their individual frequencies and amplitudes.

2. How does the coupling element affect the behavior of coupled oscillators?

The coupling element plays a crucial role in determining the behavior of coupled oscillators. It can either enhance or suppress the oscillations, depending on the strength and type of coupling. Strong coupling can lead to synchronization, where the oscillators have the same frequency and phase, while weak or negative coupling can cause desynchronization or anti-phase behavior.

3. What are some examples of coupled oscillators in electrical circuits?

Some examples of coupled oscillators in electrical circuits include tuned circuits, where the oscillators are coupled through a common inductor or capacitor, and relaxation oscillators, where the oscillators are coupled through a shared power supply. Other examples include coupled pendulums and coupled LC circuits.

4. What are the applications of coupled oscillators in electrical circuits?

Coupled oscillators have various applications in electrical circuits, including in communication systems, where they are used to generate and transmit signals at specific frequencies. They are also used in electronic filters and amplifiers, where they can improve the performance and stability of the circuit. Coupled oscillators are also essential in the study of synchronization and chaos in nonlinear systems.

5. How can the behavior of coupled oscillators be modeled and analyzed?

The behavior of coupled oscillators can be modeled and analyzed using mathematical techniques, such as differential equations and linear algebra. These models can be solved analytically or numerically to understand the dynamics of the system. Additionally, experiments can be conducted to observe the behavior of coupled oscillators in real-life circuits and compare it with the theoretical predictions.