Coursework - Gravitational Field Strength

In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove the Earth's gravitational field strength (GFS) is 9.81 N/kg. The data collected through an experiment using a ticker tape machine and a cart rolling down an inclined plane is used to determine the acceleration of the cart. The equations given are used to calculate the force and acceleration, and the mass of the cart is not needed. The conversation also mentions the confusion around the equation and the need for further research.
XiaoII

Homework Statement

Okay so, we weren't given much of a question other than "Prove the Earth's GFS is 9.81 N/KG"
So what I'm asking is, with the data that I have collected, is how I go about doing this?
As it stand we set up an experiment with the ticker tape machine, rolled the little buggy thing (technical I know =/) down the 2.43 Meter board at an initial height of 13.4 Cm.
The ticker timer we had ran at 50 Hz, so that equals to 50 dots per second if I was informed right. Meaning that to work out each 0.1 of a second, I would have to measure the space between every 5 dots. So this is what I did and as shown in the attached results, the first displacement column is from the last section of 5 dots and the column after is the total displacement from the start to the end of the board. (I have NO idea as to why the total displacement does not match the length of the board, there's one for the write up). I believe the cart we rolled down the slope was 300g.

Homework Equations

Right so here's where I manage to get lost, I was given two equations but I don't know WHAT they mean, or HOW to get the data I need for them. So I Guess this is where I need the guidance really.

1)mgSinθ-f=ma
2)gSinθ-f/m=a

I then found out a few more from other class members but we can't agree on which to use where or indeed why.
1)Driving force - friction = mass x acceleration
2)Driving force - friction = mass x gravity sinθ - friction
3)Ma - Mg Sinθ - friction

The Attempt at a Solution

As yet, I don't know where to begin, but I have an idea of working out the angle at which the slope was at so I can replace the Sinθ with an actual value so add some form of logic to the equations. Besides this I'm not entirely sure what I'm supposed to be doing. I apologise for any information missing or anything which is unclear, if you find something that is missing otherwise confusing please post and I'll happily add the information up there. I have another 13 sets of results to complete after this one, so if I could gain some idea as to HOW to analyse them properly and how to work them out, I'd be grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Test 1 c.doc
    62.5 KB · Views: 170
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was given two equations but I don't know WHAT they mean

1)mgSinθ-f=ma
2)gSinθ-f/m=a

Shouldn't those "minus" signs that you typed be "equal" signs? I would have expected to see:
mg sin theta = f = ma
g sin theta = f/m = a

This is the way I have always done it:

I would neglect friction.

An incline is at an angle theta with respect to the horizontal. An object on the incline has weight mg which is a vector vertically downward. The vector can be resolved into a set of two perpendicular vectors, with your choice of axes. So draw the triangle and see that the weight vector can be resolved into (mg sin theta) parallel to the incline and (mg cos theta) perpendicular to the incline. The object is constrained to move only on the surface of the incline, so you only need the component parallel to the incline. There's your force, F = (mg sin theta). It is F=ma where a = g sin theta. Now you don't need the mass m of the object, because equations of kinematics will relate acceleration to time intervals and distances.

Last edited:
Ah ah! Thankyou!
Finally someone explained it where I can actually understand it, I can see where I have to go now... well to an extent.

This whole mg business still confuses me because the way I see it I still need a value for it, but not how exactly to get hold of that value. Hmm...I'll have a research round and post what I find.
Never Mind, Worked that bit out at least. xD

Oh, and I wrote those equations as I was given them, minus signs as they were. But it does make sense they should be equal, when you look into it.

Last edited:

1. What is meant by "gravitational field strength"?

Gravitational field strength is a measure of the force per unit mass experienced by an object in a gravitational field. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is typically denoted by the symbol g.

2. How is the gravitational field strength calculated?

The gravitational field strength at a given point is calculated by dividing the force of gravity on an object at that point by the mass of the object. Mathematically, it can be expressed as g = F/m, where g is the gravitational field strength, F is the force of gravity, and m is the mass of the object.

3. Can the gravitational field strength change?

Yes, the gravitational field strength can change depending on the mass and distance of the objects involved. As the distance between two objects increases, the gravitational field strength decreases. Additionally, the gravitational field strength is directly proportional to the mass of the objects, so if the mass changes, the field strength will also change.

4. How does the gravitational field strength affect objects?

The gravitational field strength determines the force of gravity that an object will experience when placed in a gravitational field. Objects with larger masses will experience a greater force of gravity, while objects with smaller masses will experience a smaller force of gravity.

5. What are some real-world applications of gravitational field strength?

Understanding gravitational field strength is important in a variety of fields, including astronomy, physics, and engineering. For example, it is crucial in understanding the motion of celestial bodies and predicting the behavior of objects in orbit. It is also important in designing structures and vehicles that can withstand gravitational forces, such as rockets and satellites.