Coursework Ideas: Physics Ball Bouncing Experiment

In summary, the conversation is about ideas for a physics coursework involving a vertically bouncing ball. The person is looking for suggestions on calculations or experiments to perform with the given data, but it seems limited and they are struggling to come up with interesting ideas. The data is from one experiment measuring the height of the ball at various times.
Michaelcarson11
Coursework ideas??

Hi everyone,

For my AS physics coursework we have been given some data for a vertically bouncing ball (i.e. distance and time) and I was wondering if anyone could think of anything remotely interesting to do with it??

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Ideas for calculations to perform on the data you have? or ideas for an experiment involving a vertically bouncing ball?

Seems pretty limited to me, is this an individual project or group work? Theres a few things you could calculate with the data, however it does depend on how precise/accurate the data given is.

ive got to perform some calculations on data we've been given about a bouncing ball. the problem is i can't think of anything interesting to try and calculate (acceleration due to gravity and loss of energy on each bounce being about all i can think of).

What sort of data is it? Are there lots of different experiments with the ball dropped from different heights. If so, what else is measured?-- Time to stop bouncing perhaps.

You'll have to give more information for someone to be able to think of something!

It really is just one set of data from one experiment showing the height of the ball at various times (just over 5 seconds which relates to about 8 bounces of the ball).

Related to Coursework Ideas: Physics Ball Bouncing Experiment

1. What is the purpose of a ball bouncing experiment in physics coursework?

The purpose of a ball bouncing experiment is to study the principles of motion, specifically the relationship between the height from which a ball is dropped and the height it bounces back to. This experiment allows students to apply concepts such as potential and kinetic energy, gravity, and elasticity.

2. What materials are needed to conduct a ball bouncing experiment?

The materials needed include a ball (such as a tennis ball or rubber ball), a ruler, a flat and hard surface (such as a table or floor), and a measuring tape. It is also helpful to have a pen and paper for recording data.

3. How do you set up a ball bouncing experiment?

To set up a ball bouncing experiment, first place the ruler vertically against the flat surface. Then, drop the ball from a certain height (such as 50 cm) and measure the height it bounces back to using the ruler. Repeat this process for different heights and record the data. It is important to make sure the ball bounces straight up and down to get accurate results.

4. How can the data from a ball bouncing experiment be analyzed?

The data from a ball bouncing experiment can be analyzed by creating a graph of the height dropped versus the height bounced. This will show a linear relationship, and the slope of the line represents the coefficient of restitution, which is a measure of the ball's elasticity. The data can also be used to calculate the percentage of energy loss during each bounce.

5. What are some potential sources of error in a ball bouncing experiment?

Potential sources of error in a ball bouncing experiment include air resistance, which can slow down the ball and affect its bounces, and human error in measuring the heights. It is important to take multiple measurements and calculate an average to minimize these errors. Another potential source of error is the surface on which the ball is bounced, as a softer surface may absorb more energy and result in lower bounces.