Covariant Uncertaintly Principle

In summary, the Covariant Uncertainty Principle can be written as a dot product, and can even be generalized, but requires a correction factor for D=4 spacetime dimensions. However, there is no position operator for photons in the strict sense due to the limitations of their spin space. This does not prevent measurements, but alternative notions of position must be used.
jfy4
Covariant Uncertainty Principle

Hi,

is it possible to write the uncertainty principle as a dot product like:

[tex]\eta^{\alpha\beta}\Delta x_{\alpha}\Delta p_{\beta}\geq\hbar[/tex]

or even to generalize it as

[tex]g^{\alpha\beta}\Delta x_{\alpha}\Delta p_{\beta}\geq\hbar[/tex]

?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That's not so clear. What's meant by [tex]\Delta x[/tex] and [tex]\Delta p[/tex] here? Note that it is not trivial to define, e.g., position operators for massless particles with spin (e.g., there's no position operator for photons in the strict sense).

You find a good review on the implications of the uncertainty relations in the context of relativistic quantum theory in the beginning of Landau-Lifgarbages vol. IV. This goes back to a famous paper by Bohr.

@vanhees71: I'm curious why there's no position operator for photons in the strict sense? Could you explain?

jfy4 said:
Hi,

is it possible to write the uncertainty principle as a dot product like:

[tex]\eta^{\alpha\beta}\Delta x_{\alpha}\Delta p_{\beta}\geq\hbar[/tex]
Yes, provided that you work in an extended Hilbert space as in
http://xxx.lanl.gov/abs/0811.1905 [Int. J. Quantum Inf. 7 (2009) 595-602]

But you are missing a factor of D/2=2 for D=4 spacetime dimensions. The correct relation for D=4 is
[tex]\eta^{\alpha\beta}\Delta x_{\alpha}\Delta p_{\beta}\geq 2\hbar[/tex]

jfy4 said:
or even to generalize it as

[tex]g^{\alpha\beta}\Delta x_{\alpha}\Delta p_{\beta}\geq\hbar[/tex]
Yes (with the same correction).

Last edited:

Demystifier said:
Yes, provided that you work in an extended Hilbert space as in

But you are missing a factor of D/2=2 for D=4 spacetime dimensions. The correct relation for D=4 is
[tex]\eta^{\alpha\beta}\Delta x_{\alpha}\Delta p_{\beta}\geq 2\hbar[/tex]

Yes (with the same correction).

That's curious. When I first wrote it out, I had the 2, but then I thought with the lorentzian signature that the temporal component would subtract one of the the [itex]\hbar/2[/itex]s.

Would it not contract as follows?

[tex]\eta^{\alpha\beta}\Delta x_{\alpha}\Delta p_{\beta}=-\Delta t\Delta E+\Delta x\Delta p_x +\Delta y\Delta p_y +\Delta z\Delta p_z\geq -\frac{\hbar}{2}+\frac{\hbar}{2}+\frac{\hbar}{2}+\frac{\hbar}{2}=\hbar[/tex]

Last edited:

jfy4 said:
That's curious. When I first wrote it out, I had the 2, but then I thought with the lorentzian signature that the temporal component would subtract one of the the [itex]\hbar/2[/itex]s.

Would it not contract as follows?

[tex]\eta^{\alpha\beta}\Delta x_{\alpha}\Delta p_{\beta}=-\Delta t\Delta E+\Delta x\Delta p_x +\Delta y\Delta p_y +\Delta z\Delta p_z\geq -\frac{\hbar}{2}+\frac{\hbar}{2}+\frac{\hbar}{2}+\frac{\hbar}{2}=\hbar[/tex]
No!

You should start from the canonical uncontracted uncertainty relation
[tex]\Delta x^{\alpha}\Delta p_{\beta}=\frac{\hbar}{2} g^{\alpha}_{\beta}[/tex]
and observe that, in any spacetime,
[tex]g^{\alpha}_{\beta}=\delta^{\alpha}_{\beta}[/tex]

Last edited:

Demystifier said:
No!

You should start from the canonical uncontracted uncertainty relation
[tex]\Delta x^{\alpha}\Delta p_{\beta}=\frac{\hbar}{2} g^{\alpha}_{\beta}[/tex]
and observe that, in any spacetime,
[tex]g^{\alpha}_{\beta}=\delta^{\alpha}_{\beta}[/tex]

Interesting.

Where did you find that/How did you know to use that equation (inequality?)? Else, what's wrong with my contraction above?

jfy4 said:
Interesting.

Where did you find that/How did you know to use that equation (inequality?)? Else, what's wrong with my contraction above?
Well, the uncertainty relation above is a consequence of

1) The canonical commutation relations
[tex] [x^{\alpha},p_{\beta}]=-i\hbar g^{\alpha}_{\beta}[/tex]
which is Eq. (3) in

and

2) The fact that the canonical momentum associated with [tex]x^{\alpha}[/tex] is [tex]p_{\alpha}[/tex] (not [tex]p^{\alpha}[/tex] as one might naively think).

Your contraction is wrong because it starts from a wrong uncontracted relation. This is related to 2) above.

kof9595995 said:
Thanks, though I can't really understand the proof.

In a nutshell, the essence of the argument is the following.

A position operator for a spin s particle needs a 2s+1 dimensional spin space.
(Why this is necessary is the most difficult part of the argument.)
This is the case for massive particles. But massless particles only have a 1- or 2-dimensional spin space, depending on whether or not they are chiral.

Photons are not chiral and have spin 1, hence they have only 2 instead of the 3 spin components needed. The missing component would be ''longitudinal'' photons, which do not exist (and cannot for a massless particle).

A. Neumaier said:
In a nutshell, the essence of the argument is the following.

A position operator for a spin s particle needs a 2s+1 dimensional spin space.
(Why this is necessary is the most difficult part of the argument.)
This is the case for massive particles. But massless particles only have a 1- or 2-dimensional spin space, depending on whether or not they are chiral.

Photons are not chiral and have spin 1, hence they have only 2 instead of the 3 spin components needed. The missing component would be ''longitudinal'' photons, which do not exist (and cannot for a massless particle).

I'm curious what's the physical consequence, does it simply mean we can never measure (or even define?) the position of a photon?

kof9595995 said:
I'm curious what's the physical consequence, does it simply mean we can never measure (or even define?) the position of a photon?

Not according to the textbook view of measurements. But there are more approximate notions of measurable position, defined in terms of POVMs rather than operators.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POVM

Demystifier said:
Well, the uncertainty relation above is a consequence of

1) The canonical commutation relations
[tex] [x^{\alpha},p_{\beta}]=-i\hbar g^{\alpha}_{\beta}[/tex]
which is Eq. (3) in

and

2) The fact that the canonical momentum associated with [tex]x^{\alpha}[/tex] is [tex]p_{\alpha}[/tex] (not [tex]p^{\alpha}[/tex] as one might naively think).

Your contraction is wrong because it starts from a wrong uncontracted relation. This is related to 2) above.

Thanks,

I'll spend some time pondering it over.

1. What is the Covariant Uncertainty Principle?

The Covariant Uncertainty Principle is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the inherent uncertainty in measuring two complementary variables, such as position and momentum, of a quantum system. It states that the more precisely one variable is measured, the less precisely the other can be measured.

2. How does the Covariant Uncertainty Principle differ from the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Covariant Uncertainty Principle is a more general form of the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle, which only applies to position and momentum. The Covariant Uncertainty Principle applies to any two complementary variables, such as energy and time.

3. What is the mathematical expression of the Covariant Uncertainty Principle?

The mathematical expression of the Covariant Uncertainty Principle is ΔxΔp ≥ ħ/2, where Δx is the uncertainty in position, Δp is the uncertainty in momentum, and ħ is the reduced Planck's constant.

4. How does the Covariant Uncertainty Principle affect our understanding of the quantum world?

The Covariant Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and plays a crucial role in our understanding of the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It highlights the limitations of our ability to precisely measure certain variables of a quantum system and emphasizes the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics.

5. Can the Covariant Uncertainty Principle be violated?

No, the Covariant Uncertainty Principle is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and has been experimentally verified numerous times. It is a fundamental property of the quantum world and cannot be violated.