Create Composite Ranking of Items Ranked in Multiple Categories

In summary, the conversation is about creating a composite ranking system for different categories of items. The proposed method is to multiply a house's ranking in each category by the importance of that category, then divide by the maximum score and multiply by 100. However, there is concern that this may be too simplistic and an alternative method is suggested. The suggestion is to evaluate the Borda, Condorcet, and Range systems according to a set of attributes, rank them by importance, and select the system that scores the best.
unam1292
Hey all,

So the idea is that I'm trying to create a composite ranking system of items that are already in different categories. For example, suppose there are 4 houses that a buyer is choosing from. These 4 houses are ranked 1-4 in each of the categories such as affordability, location, and design. These categories are then rated Very Important to Not Important (1-4, respectively). I want to create a final ranking of the housings based on this data. What's the best way to do this?

What I've thought of:

Pick a house, and multiply its ranking in a category by the importance of that category. Continue to do this for that house for each category, continuing to add to the score. Then divide this score by the maximum score which is the summation of the importance values. Then finally multiply this by 100 to get a percentage match score.

Here's the idea:
Ʃ(house ranking in a category*importance of that category)/Ʃ(importances) * 100

I feel like this is too simplistic and results in error. What would be a better way?

The important thing is coming up with a relevant score value for each house. I've looked at Borda, Condorcet, and Range systems as examples, but I'm not sure what is best.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org

Ʃ(house ranking in a category*importance of that category) does all the work.
The rest is just 'normalization' - scaling for convenience.

With this scheme the lower the score the better:
A house ranked #1 in all 4 categories would have a score of 10.
A house ranked #4 in all 4 categories would have a score of 40.

unam1292 said:
The important thing is coming up with a relevant score value for each house. I've looked at Borda, Condorcet, and Range systems as examples, but I'm not sure what is best.

Why don't you evaluate the Borda, Condorcet and Range systems according to a set of attributes, rank those attributes for importance and then select the system that scores best?

1. What is a composite ranking?

A composite ranking is a method of combining individual rankings from multiple categories into a single overall ranking. It allows for a more comprehensive evaluation of items based on their performance across different criteria.

2. How is a composite ranking calculated?

A composite ranking is typically calculated by assigning weights to each individual ranking based on their relative importance, and then summing up the weighted ranks to obtain a final composite score for each item.

3. What are the benefits of using a composite ranking?

Using a composite ranking allows for a more holistic evaluation of items, taking into account their performance across multiple categories. It also helps to eliminate bias and provide a more objective assessment.

4. Are there any limitations to using a composite ranking?

One limitation of using a composite ranking is that it may not be appropriate for all types of data or situations. Additionally, the weights assigned to each individual ranking can greatly impact the final composite score and may be subject to bias.

5. How can a composite ranking be useful in research or decision making?

A composite ranking can be useful in research or decision making by providing a more comprehensive and objective evaluation of items. It can also help to identify areas of strength and weakness for each item and inform future improvements or decisions.