Creating a 1mA AC Current Source with Noninverting Op-Amp Configuration

In summary, the noninverting opamp can be used as a current source to provide a constant current through a load. If the load impedance is too large, the output of the opamp will saturate. However, as long as the opamp doesn't saturate, the output current will be 1mApp.
hogrampage

Homework Statement

Design a circuit based on the noninverting op-amp configuration that functions as a 1mA ac current source.

Homework Equations

Gain = Vout/Vin = 1 + R2/R1

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how to start.

Attachments

• opampnon.jpg
    opampnon.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 661
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hogrampage said:

Homework Statement

Design a circuit based on the noninverting op-amp configuration that functions as a 1mA ac current source.

Homework Equations

Gain = Vout/Vin = 1 + R2/R1

The Attempt at a Solution

I really don't know how to start.

What is the "virtual ground" property of opamps? And how can you use that to help in this problem?

Well, the current flowing into the +/- inputs is essentially 0. I understand the basics of the op amp (how to derive gain, vout, etc.), but I have never encountered a problem asking to use one as a current source. And, the book (Microelectronic Circuits & Devices, 2nd, Horenstein) is very vague, unfortunately.

If I have a different resistance connected to Vout (not R1 or R2), then it will change the current, won't it? That's where I am getting lost. I don't know how to make the current independent of whatever load resistance is connected.

hogrampage said:
Well, the current flowing into the +/- inputs is essentially 0. I understand the basics of the op amp (how to derive gain, vout, etc.), but I have never encountered a problem asking to use one as a current source. And, the book (Microelectronic Circuits & Devices, 2nd, Horenstein)is very vague, unfortunately.

If I have a different resistance connected to Vout (not R1 or R2), then it will change the current, won't it? That's where I am getting lost. I don't know how to make the current independent of whatever load resistance is connected.

The property you mention is not the "virtual ground" property of opamps. Try again?

V+ = v-.

hogrampage said:
V+ = v-.

Bingo!

So what will the voltage at the - input always be? And so what will the current be through R1? And since the current into the - input is zero as you already pointed out, what will the output current be?

iout = iR1 = iR2 = [itex]\frac{Vin}{R1}[/itex]

So, I could choose Vin = 1V, R1 = 1kΩ, and R2 = whatever?

Last edited:
hogrampage said:
iout = iR1 = iR2 = [itex]\frac{Vin}{R1}[/itex]

So, I could choose Vin = 1V, R1 = 1kΩ, and R2 = whatever?

Yep!

The Vout will depend on the load impedance. If the load impedance is too large, the output of the opamp will saturate (like if Rload = 10kOhms, and the supplies to the opamp are +/-5V). But as long as the opamp doesn't saturate, the output current will be 1mApp.

Ah, okay. That makes sense.

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it.

All I did was ask questions... :smile:

1. What is an op amp?

An op amp, short for operational amplifier, is an electronic component that amplifies the difference between two input voltages. It is commonly used in circuits for signal amplification, filtering, and other applications.

2. How does an op amp function as an AC current source?

To function as an AC current source, an op amp is typically configured in a non-inverting amplifier circuit. This circuit allows the op amp to amplify the input signal with a gain determined by the feedback resistors, and the output current is then fed back to the input through a capacitor, creating a feedback loop.

3. What are the advantages of using an op amp as an AC current source?

One of the main advantages is that it can provide a stable and accurate output current with a high level of precision. It also has a wide bandwidth, making it suitable for a variety of applications. Additionally, op amps are inexpensive and readily available in the market.

4. What are some common applications of op amps as AC current sources?

Op amps are commonly used in audio amplifiers, filters, oscillators, and other electronic equipment that require precise and stable AC current sources. They are also used in instrumentation and control systems, as well as in medical and scientific equipment.

5. How can I select the right op amp for my application?

When selecting an op amp for use as an AC current source, it is important to consider factors such as the required output voltage and current, frequency range, and input impedance. It is also important to choose an op amp with low noise and distortion levels to ensure accurate and reliable performance.