Solving Q4(b) of Homework 3: Finding cosx=cosy

• Thread starter athrun200
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the problem requires finding critical points for a function f with two variables. After setting the partial derivatives fx and fy equal to 0, it is possible to reduce the equation to cos(x)=cos(y) and use trigonometric identities to solve for x and y. However, since there are an infinite number of solutions, it is necessary to confine the domain of the variables to a specific range. Using the fact that the cosine function repeats every 2*pi, it can be determined that the solutions are of the form y=x+2*pi and y=-x+2*pi. By plugging these back into the original equations, it is possible to find the allowable (x,y) pairs.
athrun200

Homework Statement

Q4(b)
http://www.physics.hku.hk/~phys1315/doc/MPI_HW3.pdf"

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

After I set fx and fy =0
I get cosx=cosy.
How to solve it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
so I'm assuming f is a function of 2 variables... well what do you know about the cos function?

Sorry for my stupid mistake, I have forgotten to upload the question.
Please see question 4(b).

I know about the cos function.
After solving, it should be x=2*Pi*n+y.
However, the question only need to find critial pt within 0<y,x<Pi

ok so what do you get for fx and fy?

fx=cos(x+y)+cos(x)
fy=cos(x+y)+cos(y)

Ys, since both derivatives are 0, you can set them equal to each other and reduce, that is cos(x+y)+ cos(x)= cos(x+y)+ cos(y) reduces to cos(x)= cos(y), but then you still need the equations themselves.

It might help you to know that cos(x+y)= cos(x)cos(y)- sin(x)sin(y). If cos(x)= cos(y) then [itex]sin(x)= \pm sin(y)[/itex]

HallsofIvy said:
If cos(x)= cos(y) then sin(x)=±sin(y)
I don't understand this statement...

Do you know that [itex]cos^2(x)+ sin^2(x)= 1[/itex]? From that [itex]cos(x)= \pm\sqrt{1- sin^2(x)}[/itex]. That means that cos(x)= cos(y) gives [itex]\sqrt{1- sin^2(x)}= \pm\sqrt{1- sin^2(y)}[/itex]. Squaring both sides, [itex]1- sin^2(x)= 1- sin^2(y)[/itex] so that [itex]sin^2(x)= sin^2(y)[/itex] and, taking the square root again- [itex]sin(x)= \pm sin(y)[/itex].

My purpose in saying that was after using the identity I gave you to reduce cos(x+y)+ cos(x)= 0 to [itex]cos(x)cos(y)- sin(x)sin(y)+ cos(x)= 0[/itex] you can use the fact that cos(x)= cos(y) and either sin(x)= sin(y) or sin(x)= -sin(y) to reduce to an equation in x only:
if sin(x)= sin(y), then [itex]cos^2(x)- sin^2(x)+ cos(x)= 0[/itex] or
if sin(x)= -sin(y), then [itex]cos^2(x)+ sin^2(x)+ cos(x)= 0[/itex]

Now use [itex]sin^2(x)= 1- cos^2(x)[/itex] to reduce those to equations in cos(x) only.

Oh no. How complicated the answer is!
I know these trigonometric identities but I never think of I should use them like this.

I would like to ask what is the problem if I solve cos(x)=cos(y) directly?

You can't. That is a single equation in two variables- there are an infinite number of x, y pairs that satisfy it. y= x= any number is a solution.

i think we may be over complicating it a bit, so rather than equating fx and fy, how about noticing the following

fx=cos(x+y)+cos(x)=0
gives
cos(x)=-cos(x+y)

similarly for fy
fy=cos(x+y)+cos(y)=0
gives
cos(y)=-cos(x+y)

so it is true that for the above to be satisfied requires cos(x)=cos(y), though that only means fx=fy, not fx=fy=0, which is the overall goal.

however it will be instructive to first consider cos(x)=cos(y), to solve this, consider a graph of cos(x), clearly it repeats on every 2.pi, so if y is s solution, so is y+2.pi

Now confine x to (-pi,pi), there will be 2 solutions to cos(x)=cos(y), clearly y=x and using the fact cos is symmetric cos(y)=cos(-y), gives y=-x.

Thus all the solutions are of the form:
y = x+2.pi
y = -x+2.pi

Now going back to the main requirement for fx=fy=0:
cos(x)=-cos(x+y)
cos(y)=-cos(x+y)

can you do a similar process to find allowable (x,y) pairs?

lanedance said:
Now going back to the main requirement for fx=fy=0:
cos(x)=-cos(x+y)
cos(y)=-cos(x+y)

can you do a similar process to find allowable (x,y) pairs?
Sorry that I didn't notice your reply.
We can subs y = x+2.pi into cos(x)=-cos(x+y)
By solving we get pi and pi/3

Is it correct?

1. How do I solve for x and y in cosx=cosy?

To solve for x and y in cosx=cosy, you can use the inverse cosine function (cos-1). First, rewrite the equation as cosx-cosy=0. Then, use the identity cosx-cosy=2sin((x+y)/2)sin((x-y)/2) to get sin((x+y)/2)sin((x-y)/2)=0. Finally, set each factor equal to 0 and solve for x and y.

2. What is the difference between solving for x and y in cosx=cosy?

When solving for x and y in cosx=cosy, the process is the same. The only difference is the values you plug in for x and y in the inverse cosine function. For example, if you are solving for x, you would use cos-1(cosy). If you are solving for y, you would use cos-1(cosx).

3. Can I use a calculator to solve cosx=cosy?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve cosx=cosy. Most scientific calculators have an inverse cosine function (cos-1) which you can use to find the values of x and y.

4. Are there any special cases when solving for x and y in cosx=cosy?

Yes, there are a few special cases when solving for x and y in cosx=cosy. These include when x and y are equal, when x and y are opposite (i.e. differ by 180 degrees), and when x and y are complementary (i.e. add up to 90 degrees). In these cases, the values of x and y will be the same or differ by a multiple of 360 degrees.

5. How can I check if my solution for x and y in cosx=cosy is correct?

You can check your solution for x and y in cosx=cosy by plugging the values back into the original equation. If the equation still holds true, then your solution is correct. Additionally, you can also graph the equation and see if the points where the graphs intersect match with your solution for x and y.