Critical angle of refraction

In summary, the critical angle at the glass-to-liquid interface is undefined because the light travels from a less dense (glass) medium to a more dense (liquid) medium, making the second term in the inverse sine function larger than the first term. This means that there is no critical angle and no total internal reflection in this situation.
sgoeke

Homework Statement

A ray of light travels across a glass-to-liqued interface. If the indices of refraction for the liquid and glass are, respictevly 1.75 and 1.52, what is the critical angle at this interface?

Homework Equations

critical angle = inverse sin (n2/n1)

The Attempt at a Solution

i used inverse sin (1.52/1.75) and got an angle of 60.3 degrees. However, I do know that if you reverse the 1.75 and 1.52 in that equation, you get an undefined angle and the correct answer is that there is not critical angle. Why do you used 1.75/1.52?

Physics news on Phys.org
sgoeke said:

Homework Statement

A ray of light travels across a glass-to-liqued interface. If the indices of refraction for the liquid and glass are, respictevly 1.75 and 1.52, what is the critical angle at this interface?

Homework Equations

critical angle = inverse sin (n2/n1)

The Attempt at a Solution

i used inverse sin (1.52/1.75) and got an angle of 60.3 degrees. However, I do know that if you reverse the 1.75 and 1.52 in that equation, you get an undefined angle and the correct answer is that there is not critical angle. Why do you used 1.75/1.52?

You get a critical angle and total internal reflection when the light goes from a dense to a less dense medium. That is, one with a refractive index that is higher to one that is lower.
The question says that the light goes from glass to liquid and that glass has index=1.52 and the liquid 1.75.
So there is no critical angle in this case.

The law is n1 sin i1 = n2 sin i2

For the critical angle, i2 = 90 so, sin i2 = 1

1. What is the critical angle of refraction?

The critical angle of refraction is the angle of incidence at which light passing through a medium is refracted at an angle of 90 degrees. This means that the light is no longer able to pass through the medium and instead is completely reflected back into the original medium.

2. How is the critical angle of refraction calculated?

The critical angle of refraction is calculated using Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the velocities of light in the two media.

3. What factors affect the critical angle of refraction?

The critical angle of refraction is affected by the index of refraction of the two media, as well as the wavelength of the light passing through. It is also influenced by the surface roughness of the interface between the two media.

4. What happens if the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle of refraction?

If the angle of incidence is greater than the critical angle of refraction, total internal reflection occurs. This means that all of the light is reflected back into the original medium and none passes through to the second medium.

5. How is the critical angle of refraction used in practical applications?

The critical angle of refraction is used in a variety of applications, such as fiber optics and prisms. In fiber optics, the critical angle is used to ensure that light remains within the fiber and does not escape. In prisms, the critical angle is used to create a rainbow of colors by separating white light into its component colors.