Cross product in cylindrical coordinates

In summary, the equations in the conversation discuss the cross product of two vectors, \hat{z} and \hat{R}, and how it relates to the unit vector \hat{\phi} and the angle \theta. The equation d\vec{l}\times \hat{R}=\hat{\phi}\sin \left (\theta \right )dz shows that the cross product of \hat{z} and \hat{R} is equal to \hat{\phi} multiplied by the sine of the angle \theta. However, when computing this using a 3x3 matrix, the result does not include the sine term. This discrepancy may be resolved by considering the definitions of cross product and the unit vectors involved.
fishingspree2
In my physics textbook we have
[itex]d\vec{l}=\hat{z}dz[/itex]
and then it says
[itex]d\vec{l}\times \hat{R}=\hat{\phi}\sin \left (\theta \right )dz[/itex]

How so? What is [itex]\hat{z}\times\hat{R}[/itex]? If it is [itex]\hat{\phi}[/itex] then where does the sine come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the definition of cross product.

SteamKing said:
Check the definition of cross product.
If i use the fact that a X b = |a| |b| sin(theta) then I understand where the sine comes from, it this case it would also mean that z X R is in the φ direction if [itex]d\vec{l}\times \hat{R}=\hat{\phi}\sin \left (\theta \right )dz[/itex] is correct.

but when I compute z X R using the 3x3 matrix
R φ z
0 0 1
1 0 0

I get +φ, and there is no sine.

Any idea what am I missing?

You have a big advantage on anyone commenting here: You are pulling some equation from your (unnamed) physics textbook. How about showing us a little more information?

It looks like [itex]\hat{z}[/itex] is a unit vector in the axial direction, [itex]\hat{\phi}[/itex] is a unit vector in the circumferential direction, [itex]\hat{R}[/itex] is a unit vector pointing from the origin in an arbitrary spatial direction, and [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between the unit vector [itex]\hat{R}[/itex] and the z axis.

[tex]\hat{R}=\sin(\theta)\hat{r}+\cos(\theta)\hat{z}[/tex]

where [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] is a unit vector in the radial coordinate direction.

1. What is the cross product in cylindrical coordinates?

The cross product, also known as the vector product, is a mathematical operation that combines two vectors to produce a third vector. In cylindrical coordinates, it is used to calculate the direction and magnitude of the resulting vector when two vectors are multiplied together.

2. How is the cross product calculated in cylindrical coordinates?

In cylindrical coordinates, the cross product is calculated using the following formula: A x B = (ArBz - AzBr)ĉ + (AzBθ - AθBz)ŷ + (AθBr - ArBθ) where A and B are the two vectors being multiplied and ĉ, ŷ, and ẑ are the unit vectors in the r, θ, and z directions respectively.

3. What are the applications of the cross product in cylindrical coordinates?

The cross product in cylindrical coordinates is used in many fields of science and engineering. It is commonly used in electromagnetism to calculate magnetic fields and forces, in fluid dynamics to calculate fluid velocities and vorticity, and in mechanics to calculate torque and angular momentum.

4. How does the cross product in cylindrical coordinates differ from the cross product in Cartesian coordinates?

While both the cross product in cylindrical coordinates and the cross product in Cartesian coordinates involve multiplying two vectors to produce a third vector, the formulas and resulting vectors are different. In cylindrical coordinates, the resulting vector contains components in the r, θ, and z directions, whereas in Cartesian coordinates, the resulting vector contains components in the x, y, and z directions.

5. Can the cross product in cylindrical coordinates be visualized?

Yes, the cross product in cylindrical coordinates can be visualized using the right-hand rule. If the fingers of your right hand are curled in the direction of the first vector and then rotated towards the second vector, your thumb will point in the direction of the resulting vector.