Is Crossed Aldol Condensation of Acetone and Ethyl Methyl Ketone Possible?

In summary, the crossed aldol condensation of acetone and ethyl methyl ketone is possible under alkaline conditions. The alpha hydrogen in ethyl methyl ketone may be more acidic than in acetone, leading to a favorable equilibrium mixture. Further research on the desired products and reaction conditions is recommended. The alpha carbon with the most stable enolate will preferentially participate in the condensation, in line with Zaitsev's rule. The resulting enone may be more stable, making its alpha hydrogen more acidic.
baldbrain
Is the crossed aldol condensation of acetone and ethyl methyl ketone possible?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Sure, why not? I couldn't tell you the optimal reaction conditions, but no doubt it's possible.

Likes baldbrain
TeethWhitener said:
Sure, why not? I couldn't tell you the optimal reaction conditions, but no doubt it's possible.
I just need to know if the usual alkaline conditions are enough

It's enough for acetone self-condensation. My guess is that the alpha hydrogen in MEK is the same to somewhat more acidic than in acetone, so the equilibrium mixture might favor the crossed product. But I don't know for certain. If I were you, I would do a lit search on the desired products if you're concerned about yield.

Edit: Here's a procedure for acetone self-condensation that may be illustrative:
http://www.orgsyn.org/demo.aspx?prep=cv1p0199
They use barium hydroxide as the base but mention that alkali hydroxides (e.g., NaOH) work also.

TeethWhitener said:
My guess is that the alpha hydrogen in MEK is the same to somewhat more acidic than in acetone, so the equilibrium mixture might favor the crossed product.
Hey, but MEK has 2 α carbons, so which α hydrogen are you talking about?

Is this a homework assignment? It'll be the one with the most stable enolate. You can use Zaitsev's rule as a guide here.

I know the Saytzeff rule. So, that -CH2- hydrogen will preferentially take part in the condensation. But how that speak about acidity?

HPPAS said:
But how that speak about acidity?
Oh wait, I got it. Since, the enone formed from the -CH2- is more stable, that carbon shall get deprotonated quickly and hence that α hydrogen will be more acidic.

Likes TeethWhitener
Sounds good.

Likes baldbrain
TeethWhitener said:
Sounds good.
Thanks

1. What is a crossed aldol condensation?

A crossed aldol condensation is a type of organic reaction in which two carbonyl compounds, such as aldehydes or ketones, are reacted to form a new carbon-carbon bond. This reaction is typically catalyzed by a base and can occur between different types of carbonyl compounds, hence the term "crossed".

2. What is the mechanism of a crossed aldol condensation?

The mechanism of a crossed aldol condensation involves the formation of an enolate ion from one carbonyl compound, which then attacks the carbonyl carbon of the other carbonyl compound. This results in the formation of a β-hydroxyketone or aldehyde, which then undergoes dehydration to form an α,β-unsaturated carbonyl compound.

3. What types of carbonyl compounds can participate in a crossed aldol condensation?

A crossed aldol condensation can occur between any two carbonyl compounds, including aldehydes, ketones, esters, and carboxylic acid derivatives. However, the reactivity of these compounds may vary depending on their electronic and steric properties.

4. What are the advantages of a crossed aldol condensation?

A crossed aldol condensation can be a highly efficient and selective method for forming new carbon-carbon bonds. It allows for the synthesis of complex molecules with high stereoselectivity and can be used in the synthesis of natural products, pharmaceuticals, and other important organic compounds.

5. What are the limitations of a crossed aldol condensation?

One limitation of a crossed aldol condensation is the possibility of side reactions, such as self-condensation of one of the carbonyl compounds. The reaction can also be sensitive to the choice of base and reaction conditions, and may require careful optimization to achieve the desired product. Additionally, the use of certain functional groups may not be compatible with this reaction.