Crossing a flowing river problem

• Thread starter shizupple
  • Start date
  • Tags
    River
In summary, the problem involves a hunter trying to cross a river that is 1.6 km wide and is flowing at a speed of 3.4 km/h. The hunter uses a small powerboat that can move at a maximum speed of 12.4 km/h. By using the pythagorean theorem, the resultant velocity of the water and the speed of the boat is calculated to be 12.9 km/h. The minimum time necessary for crossing is then found by dividing the width of the river by the velocity, which gives a time of 7.44 minutes. However, to find the shortest time, the hunter should row the boat in the direction of the river current, using vector concepts. This results in a
shizupple

Homework Statement

A hunter wishes to cross a river that is 1.6 km wide and that flows with a speed of 3.4 km/h. The hunter uses a small powerboat that moves at a maximum speed of 12.4 km/h with respect to the water. What is the minimum time necessary for crossing?

Homework Equations

pythagorean theorem
dx=vi(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

I used pythagorean theorem to find the resultant velocity of the water flowing and the speed of the boat:
square root of: 3.4^2+12.4^2= 12.9km/h

Divide width of river by the velocity: 1.6/12.9 = .124hr

Multiply hours by 60 to get mins: .124x60= 7.44 mins

I don't know if i am not getting something right when I'm drawing the picture or if I've understood the problem wrong. Any ideas would be great!

Physics news on Phys.org
1.6/12.9 = .124hr has it, except the number given was 12.4 rather than 12.9.

Hunter wants to cross in shortest time. So he rows his boat in the direction AB .
but river current -> Direction along BC.. so he gets displaced to right & Reaches c. Use Vector concept. He moves along AB with v=12.4km/hr V(river)=3.4km/h
so, V(resultant)= 12.9km/h Time taken by him is not width of river/12.9, But it is t= AC/12.9 t= AB/velocity of boat [because AC= AB/cos θ.& V(resultant)= v(boat)/cos θ
so, cos θ cancels and shortest time is t= AB/v(boat) so, t=1.6/12.4= 0.129hr = 8.14min

| |
| |
A| | B
| |
| |C

Last edited:
I think this is a little tricky question, there is certainly no effect/time loss because of the current, since the question itself gave you the value of your speed with respect to water and you have the width of the river, you can ignore the rest and do a basic X=velocity.time to solve the question

Let me clarify myself here the speed that makes you move in the vertical direction is naturally your vertical speed, and your horizontal speed (which has no effect on your vertical speed, but it has an effect on your total speed) just causes the displacement in the horizontal way.

i strongly agree with your caculations.
ou have done a wonderful and detailed job of explianing this.

Cryphonus said:
I think this is a little tricky question, there is certainly no effect/time loss because of the current, since the question itself gave you the value of your speed with respect to water and you have the width of the river, you can ignore the rest and do a basic X=velocity.time to solve the question

Let me clarify myself here the speed that makes you move in the vertical direction is naturally your vertical speed, and your horizontal speed (which has no effect on your vertical speed, but it has an effect on your total speed) just causes the displacement in the horizontal way.

Ok so your saying the horizontal speed just causes displacement but won't effect the total time to get across the river. You basically disregard the speed of the river. I did the displacement divided by the speed of the hunters boat and got the right answer. I guess its kind of like thinking of it as a gravity problem in disregard to sideways motion.

Related to Crossing a flowing river problem

1. How do you determine the safest way to cross a flowing river?

The safest way to cross a flowing river is to first assess the depth and current of the water. Look for shallow areas and try to cross at a wider portion of the river where the current is not as strong. You should also consider using a walking stick or rope for added stability.

2. What factors should be considered when choosing a crossing point?

When choosing a crossing point, you should consider the depth, width, and current of the river as well as the terrain on either side. Look for natural bridges such as fallen trees or rocks that can provide a more stable and secure crossing.

3. What equipment should be used when crossing a flowing river?

When crossing a flowing river, it is important to have the right equipment. This may include a walking stick or trekking poles for stability, water shoes with good traction, and a waterproof bag to protect your belongings. A rope can also be useful for added support.

4. What precautions should be taken when crossing a flowing river?

Before attempting to cross a flowing river, make sure to assess the conditions and have a plan in place. Always wear a life jacket and consider having a partner or group to cross with. Avoid crossing during times of heavy rain or when the current is too strong.

5. What should be done if someone falls into the river while crossing?

If someone falls into the river while crossing, stay calm and try to reach them with a rope or stick. If possible, throw them a floatation device such as a life jacket. If you are unable to reach them, call for help immediately and try to guide them towards a safe landing spot downstream.