Crystal Structure of Metals at Absolute Zero, Waves

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding information on crystal structure and thermodynamic tables for solid elemental metals at low temperatures. The CRC Handbook is mentioned as a potential source of information, but it is not free. The conversation also touches on the use of tables and polynomials to extrapolate data for temperatures near 0 K and the testing of a predicted speed of sound equation.
SSGD
I have been trying to find information on the crystal structure or phase of solid elemental metals at temperatures close to absolute zero, but I can only find information on there ambient structures. Does anyone know of any sources that would have thermodynamic tables for solid metals at low temperatures or information on the crystal structure at low temperatures?

From the little information I have found it would appear a lot of the metals all form a HCP crystal structure at very low temperatures, but like I said I am having a hard time getting any information.

I want to make a finite point mass wave equation.

m*utt(x,t) = k*(u(x+h,t)-2*u(x,t)+u(x-h,t))

if you let h -> 0 then you get the wave equation

but h is the particle separation, and it is small. so with a small value approximation you get

m*utt(x,t) = k*h2*uxx(x,t)

but I need information on crystal structure and the particle separation.

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two separate issues here.
(1) The low-temperature forms of elements (allotropes) are listed in the CRC handbook. For most metals, the room temperature and low temperature structures are the same.
(2) To obtain the lattice constants near low temperature, you need to dig out individual references for each metal that measure the thermal expansion as a function of temperature. The results are normally provided in the form of tables or polynomials, and you would have to extrapolate to 0 K.

Thanks for the help. The CRC Handbook looks like a treasure chest of information, but with anything its not free. I understand how to use the tables and polynomials to extrapolate for temperatures close to zero.

So basically to get the data that represents the secrets of the universe you have to buy it... That is a subject of a different discussion.

I just want to test if the speed of sound that is predicted from the equation holds.

c = (kh2/m)1/2=(B/p)1/2

where:
k = the fictitious spring force between particles
h = particle separation
m = mass of the particle
B = Bulk Modulus
p = density

1. What is the significance of studying the crystal structure of metals at absolute zero?

Studying the crystal structure of metals at absolute zero allows scientists to understand the fundamental properties and behavior of metals at their most basic state. This understanding can then be applied to practical applications in fields such as materials science and engineering.

2. How does the crystal structure of metals change at absolute zero?

At absolute zero, the atoms in a metal are in their lowest energy state and are arranged in a highly ordered crystal lattice structure. This differs from the random arrangement of atoms at higher temperatures.

3. What role do waves play in the crystal structure of metals at absolute zero?

Waves, specifically electron waves, are responsible for the formation and stability of the crystal lattice structure at absolute zero. These waves allow for the orderly arrangement of atoms and contribute to the overall strength and properties of the metal.

4. Are there any practical applications for understanding the crystal structure of metals at absolute zero?

Yes, understanding the crystal structure of metals at absolute zero has practical applications in fields such as materials science, where knowledge of a metal's properties and behavior at its most basic state is crucial for designing new materials with specific properties. It can also aid in the development of new technologies such as superconductors.

5. Can the crystal structure of metals at absolute zero be altered or manipulated?

Yes, the crystal structure of metals at absolute zero can be altered or manipulated through various methods such as applying pressure or using chemical additives. These alterations can result in changes to the metal's properties and behavior, making it useful for specific applications.