1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curent densitys relation to drift velocity

1. Feb 13, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A beam contains 4.0x10^8 doubly charged positive ions per cubic centimeter, all of which are moving north with a speed of 1.2x10^5 m/s.

(a) What is the magnitude of the current density ?
    (b) What is its direction?
    (c) What additional quantity or quantities are needed to calculate the total current in this ion beam?

2. Relevant equations
    J=I/A=nqv (v = drift velocity)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well I tried this (4.0e8)(2)(1.6e-19)(1.2e5) which I thought would give what I wanted but apparently not. I was thinking by looking a dimensional analysis that it has something to do with the seconds in the velocity but im not sure?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2012 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Take care with the units of length. The ion density is given in particles/cubic centimeters, the velocity is given in m/s. The current density has to be in C/m2.

ehild

4. Feb 14, 2012 #3
    Ok I did that I converted (4e8) in particles/ cubic centimeter to 400 particles per cubic meter but it still did not give the right answer?

5. Feb 14, 2012 #4

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are 400000000 particles in one cm3. How many cm3 makes one m3? (which one is bigger? 1 cm3 or 1 m3?) Where are there more particles? In a big volume or in the small volume?

ehild

6. Feb 14, 2012 #5
    Huh wait your confusing me I though 400 cubic meters was correct is it not?

7. Feb 14, 2012 #6

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What was 400 cubic meters?

ehild

8. Feb 15, 2012 #7
    im saying the conversion from cubic centimeters to cubic meters is 400

9. Feb 15, 2012 #8
    I got it thanks for all the help!!! WOOT

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook