Struggling with Homework Equations? Get Help Here!

• Thread starter exitwound
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the correct answer for a formula involving current density and area. The individual is able to solve the problem by integrating and arrives at the answer of i = (2piJ_oR^2)/3.
exitwound

Homework Statement

Capture.JPG

Homework Equations

J=i/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Studying for a test. This sample exam went pretty well. I am having trouble with 3 out of the 20. I can't figure this one out. I can't seem to find how to get a denominator value.

The answer is B.

I know that current density is equal to the current over the area.
[tex]J=\frac{i}{A}[/tex]
[tex]J_o(r/R)=\frac{i}{\pi (\frac{r}{R}^2)}[/tex]

I know I'm doing something wrong. Anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are right at this formula:

[tex]
J = \frac{i}{A}
[/tex]

But it is just the special case of this:

i = [tex]\int[/tex] JdA
and dA = 2 * pi * r * dr.

Oh. Right.

I still don't know how to get a correct answer out of that.

[tex]i = \int J \cdot da [/tex]

[tex]i = \int_0^r \frac{J_or}{R} \cdot 2\pi r dr [/tex]

pulling out the constants:

[tex]i = \frac{J_o2\pi}{R} \int_0^r r^2 dr [/tex]

[tex]i = \frac{J_o2\pi}{R}\frac{r^3}{3}|_0^r[/tex]

[tex]i = \frac{J_o2\pi}{R}\frac{r^3}{3}[/tex]

Where's the extra r in the numerator coming from?

When you set r = R, you will get what you want (because problem asks you to find total current, not current at radius r, i think).

Last edited:
Oh. because I'm integrating from a radius of 0 to a radius of R. That makes sense.

[tex]
i = \frac{J_o2\pi}{R}\frac{r^3}{3}|_0^R
[/tex]

[tex]
i = \frac{J_o2\pi}{R}\frac{R^3}{3}
[/tex]

[tex]
i = \frac{J_o2\pi R^2}{3}
[/tex]

1. How do I know which equations to use for my homework?

It is important to carefully read the instructions and problem statement for your homework. Look for any given equations or formulas that may be relevant to the problem. If no equations are given, try to identify the key concepts and variables involved in the problem and search for related equations in your textbook or online.

2. I am struggling to understand a particular equation. What should I do?

If you are having trouble understanding a specific equation, try breaking it down into smaller parts and understanding each component separately. You can also try looking for similar problems or examples in your textbook or online to get a better understanding of how the equation is used.

3. Can I use a calculator or software to solve my homework equations?

It depends on the instructions given for your homework. Some assignments may require you to show your work and solve the equations by hand. However, if the instructions allow the use of a calculator or software, it can be a helpful tool to check your work and save time.

4. How can I check if my homework equations are correct?

The best way to check if your equations are correct is to carefully follow the steps of your problem-solving process and double-check your calculations. You can also ask a classmate or teacher for help or use online resources to check your work.

5. I am running out of time and can't solve all my homework equations. What should I do?

If you are running out of time, prioritize the most important equations or those that are worth the most points. You can also try to estimate the answers for the remaining equations or ask for an extension from your teacher. Remember to always communicate with your teacher if you are struggling with completing your homework.