1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Current in a wire

1. Jan 16, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    1.JPG

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I know I = nqvA

When the pd is applied the surface that is 8cm long, the cross sectional area is 32cm (8x4) but when the pd is applied across the 4cm side, the cross sectional area is now 16cm (4x4) so I has decreased by a factor of 2 so the new I is I/2 thus answer A? But the correct answer is D.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2017 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

When comparing I=nqvA for each case, you assumed that only A changed. q stays the saem OK - but is v the same?
    HInt: Ohms' law and resistivity.

4. Jan 16, 2017 #3

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You've got the order of the faces backwards. The initial scenario has the PD applied across the ends of the rectangle (the 4 x 4 ends are separated by 8 cm).

Also, remember that resistance is proportional to path length as well as being inversely proportional to the cross sectional area. Look up the definition of resistivity.

5. Jan 16, 2017 #4

stevendaryl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I think that the relevant equation is: [itex]R \propto \frac{l}{A}[/itex] where [itex]l[/itex] is the length of the resistor and [itex]A[/itex] is the cross-sectional area. Switching from one face to the other changes both [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]l[/itex].

6. Jan 16, 2017 #5
    People are always very quick to use formulas .... much easier just to look at it .....the distance the current has to travel has halved so this alone will make the resistance halve ... but in addition the area the current moves through has doubled .. this will also halve the resistance ... so in total the resistance has dropped to a quarter of what it was ...

7. Jan 16, 2017 #6
    Yep, I totally disregarded the effects on the wire's resistance. It's clear now why current goes up by a factor of 4. thanks for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted