Current in DC Circuit: 8.41 x 10^19 Electrons in 2s

  • Thread starter Thread starter jst
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Circuit Current
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
jst
Messages
28
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



In a DC circuit 8.41 x 10^19 electrons travel through a point in the circuit in two seconds. What current is in the circuit?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure at all on this. I was thinking it would be something like (charge*#electrons)/time, but I don't have a value for the charge

The Attempt at a Solution



Would it possibly be: (6.241 509 629 152 65×10^18 * 8.41 x 10^19)/2Thanks,

Jason
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
6.241 509 629 152 65×10^18

This is how many electrons are needed for one coulomb of charge. What you want is to find the charge of one electron, if you are going to use your equation the way it is.
 
As I understand the problem you need to convert the number of electrons to amperes. The ampere is a coulomb/sec and 1 electron is 1.602e-19 coul. I get 6.75 amps.
 
1 ampere is 6.24x1018 electrons passing a point in a second. Since you know how many pass in two seconds you need to divide half the number given in the question by the number given in the definition.

EDIT: All posted in the same minute and I'm last :rolleyes: Figures
 
Thanks to everyone! It's funny, I think I might have figured out before reading your posts.

See what you think:

=((# of electrons)*(charge of electron))/time

=
((8.41*10^19)*(1.6*10^-19))/2

=6.728


...at least it maches up with one of the possible solutions :)

Thanks again,

Jason