What is the magnitude of the current in this ionic solution?

In summary, the current in an ionic solution is the movement of charged particles through the solution, measured in amperes using an ammeter. Factors such as ion concentration, size and charge, temperature, and barriers/resistances can affect the magnitude of current. It can be controlled by adjusting these factors and is directly related to voltage and resistance according to Ohm's Law.
BuBbLeS01
Current...please help!

Homework Statement

In an ionic solution, 3.93×10^15 positive ions with charge +2e pass to the right each second while 9.01×101^5 negative ions with charge -e pass to the left. What is the magnitude of current in the solution?

Homework Equations

I = Ch in Q / Ch in T

The Attempt at a Solution

So I did...
R = 1.6x10^-19 * 3.93x10^15 / 1
R = -1.6x10^-19 * 9.01x10^15 / 1
and then I added them...what am I doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
BuBbLeS01 said:
3.93×10^15 positive ions with charge +2e pass
You forgot to multiply by two here.

1. What is the definition of current in an ionic solution?

The current in an ionic solution refers to the movement of charged particles, such as ions, through the solution. This movement is known as an electrical current.

2. How is the magnitude of current measured in an ionic solution?

The magnitude of current in an ionic solution is typically measured in units of amperes (A) using an ammeter. This measures the amount of charge passing through a given point in the solution per unit of time.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of current in an ionic solution?

The magnitude of current in an ionic solution is affected by the concentration of ions, the size and charge of the ions, the temperature of the solution, and the presence of any barriers or resistances in the solution.

4. Can the magnitude of current in an ionic solution be controlled?

Yes, the magnitude of current in an ionic solution can be controlled by adjusting the concentration of ions, changing the temperature, or introducing barriers or resistances in the solution.

5. How does the magnitude of current in an ionic solution relate to other electrical properties?

The magnitude of current in an ionic solution is directly related to the voltage or potential difference across the solution and the resistance of the solution. This is described by Ohm's Law: I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance.