Curves, relationships, functions and symmetry

In summary, the conversation discusses two curves, y=x^2+4x-1 and y=-2+or-Square root(x+5), and their relationship to each other. The first part involves sketching both curves on the same graph and the second part involves determining if the curves are related and if they represent a function. The third part discusses whether the curves display odd or even symmetry, with the conclusion that the function y=x^2+4x-1 is even. The conversation also explores the connection between the formula y=x^2-4y+1 and y=2+/-sqrt(x+5).
mariechap89
For the following curves i) y=x^2+4x-1 ii) y=-2+or-Square root(x+5)
a) Sketch both the curves on the same sheet of graph paper- against the same axis
I have done this, although I have not shown it here

b) Determine with proof, whether the above curves are related.
Not sure how to do this.

c)Determine with proof, if either of the above curves are a function
Not sure how to do this either.

d)Determine, with proof, whether either of the curves displays odd or even symmetry
y=f(x)=x^2+4x-1
f(-x)=-x^2+4x-1
Even function
Is this correct

Any help would be great thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
mariechap89 said:
For the following curves i) y=x^2+4x-1 ii) y=-2+or-Square root(x+5)
a) Sketch both the curves on the same sheet of graph paper- against the same axis
I have done this, although I have not shown it here

b) Determine with proof, whether the above curves are related.
Not sure how to do this.
What did you notice about the two graphs in part a?
mariechap89 said:
c)Determine with proof, if either of the above curves are a function
Not sure how to do this either.
Surely you have learned how to tell whether a graph represents a function. Does the phrase "vertical line test" ring a bell?
mariechap89 said:
d)Determine, with proof, whether either of the curves displays odd or even symmetry
y=f(x)=x^2+4x-1
f(-x)=-x^2+4x-1
Even function
Is this correct
A function is even if f(-x) = f(x) for all x in the domain of the function. A function is odd if -f(-x) = f(x) for all x in the domain of the function. You have not calculated f(-x) correctly. Please try again.
mariechap89 said:
Any help would be great thanks

If [itex]y= 2\pm\sqrt{x+ 5}[/itex] then [itex]y- 2= \pm\sqrt{x+ 5}[/itex] and, squaring both sides, [itex](y- 2)^2= y^2- 4y+ 4= x+ 5[/itex] which is exactly the same as [itex]y^2- 4y- 1= x[/itex]. How is that formula connected to [itex]y= x^2- 4y+ 1[/itex]?

1. What is a curve?

A curve is a line or a series of connected points that can be represented on a graph. In mathematics, curves are often used to represent relationships between two variables.

2. What is a relationship in mathematics?

In mathematics, a relationship refers to the connection between two or more quantities or variables. This can be represented by a graph, equation, or table.

3. What is a function?

In mathematics, a function is a rule that assigns each element in one set to a unique element in another set. It is often represented by an equation or a graph.

4. What is symmetry in relation to curves and functions?

Symmetry in relation to curves and functions refers to the balance or proportionality of a shape or graph. A curve or function is considered symmetric if it can be divided into two equal parts that mirror each other.

5. How can I determine if a curve or function is symmetrical?

To determine if a curve or function is symmetrical, you can use the following methods:

• Visually inspect the graph for a mirror image on either side of a line.
  • Graph the inverse of the function and see if it is the same as the original function.
  • Check if the function has rotational symmetry, meaning it looks the same when rotated 180 degrees.
  • Use algebraic tests, such as checking if the function is even (symmetric about the y-axis) or odd (symmetric about the origin).