1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Curves, relationships, functions and symmetry

1. Sep 3, 2010 #1
    For the following curves i) y=x^2+4x-1 ii) y=-2+or-Square root(x+5)
    a) Sketch both the curves on the same sheet of graph paper- against the same axis
    I have done this, although I have not shown it here

b) Determine with proof, whether the above curves are related.
    Not sure how to do this.

c)Determine with proof, if either of the above curves are a function
    Not sure how to do this either.

d)Determine, with proof, whether either of the curves displays odd or even symmetry
    y=f(x)=x^2+4x-1
    f(-x)=-x^2+4x-1
    Even function
    Is this correct

Any help would be great thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2010 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

What did you notice about the two graphs in part a?
    Surely you have learned how to tell whether a graph represents a function. Does the phrase "vertical line test" ring a bell?
    A function is even if f(-x) = f(x) for all x in the domain of the function. A function is odd if -f(-x) = f(x) for all x in the domain of the function. You have not calculated f(-x) correctly. Please try again.

4. Sep 3, 2010 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If [itex]y= 2\pm\sqrt{x+ 5}[/itex] then [itex]y- 2= \pm\sqrt{x+ 5}[/itex] and, squaring both sides, [itex](y- 2)^2= y^2- 4y+ 4= x+ 5[/itex] which is exactly the same as [itex]y^2- 4y- 1= x[/itex]. How is that formula connected to [itex]y= x^2- 4y+ 1[/itex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook