Custom Math Course: Refresh Arithmetic & Learn Algebra/Calculus

• Courses
  • Thread starter Tri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary, if you want to learn some basic algebra and geometry, this is a good track to start with. However, it's going to take a while and you'll need to be quite competent in proofs and logic. If you want to learn calculus, you'll need to start a bit earlier and work your way up.
Tri
Hello all, I've decided to set a "math course" for myself, coming into Highschool I want to know as much as possible. I thought maybe review the basic arithmetic as a refresher then Abstract algebra (https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471433349/?tag=pfamazon01-20) followed by geom/trig, hopefully someone can recommend a website/book where I can learn this fairly quickly. After that is out of the way start on calculus( I have several books in mind). Do you find this track efficient, if not please recommend something better. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Tri said:
Hello all, I've decided to set a "math course" for myself, coming into Highschool I want to know as much as possible. I thought maybe review the basic arithmetic as a refresher then Abstract algebra (https://www.amazon.com/dp/0471433349/?tag=pfamazon01-20) followed by geom/trig, hopefully someone can recommend a website/book where I can learn this fairly quickly. After that is out of the way start on calculus( I have several books in mind). Do you find this track efficient, if not please recommend something better. :)

Abstract algebra?? You do know that abstract algebra is a college-level course, right?? And that Dummit & Foote is a university textbook, right?? I hope you're not confusing this with high school algebra, because it's very different!

If you do want to do abstract algebra, then you can. But be aware that the course is very proof intensive. You'll need to be quite acquainted with proofs and logic. There are some nice introductions to abstract algebra which should be quite accessible to (good) high school students. For example Pinter and Fraleigh are decent books.

Last edited by a moderator:
micromass said:
Abstract algebra?? You do know that abstract algebra is a college-level course, right?? And that Dummit & Foote is a university textbook, right?? I hope you're not confusing this with high school algebra, because it's very different!

If you do want to do abstract algebra, then you can. But be aware that the course is very proof intensive. You'll need to be quite acquainted with proofs and logic. There are some nice introductions to abstract algebra which should be quite accessible to (good) high school students. For example Pinter and Fraleigh are decent books.

I'm sorry I didn't give detail on previous Knowledge, I know most of the subjects I've listed just with a bit of a superficial understanding, and I would like to get deeper into the pure maths. I realize it's a college level textbook(which I have read before, University Physics with modern physics). I wasn't sure though, the difference between Algebra and Abstract Algebra, but according to the reviews it's a good basis for higher topics so I thought it would be a decent choice :/, is there a chance i can still keep up with the book, where can I get set with proofs?

Whoa hold your horses there, you need to realize what you're saying.

For starters, Abstract Algebra isn't the basic algebra you think it is. Abstract Algebra is a mathematics-major college course that definitely isn't taken until you've have Single Variable and Probably Multivariable Calculus, and taken Linear Algebra and maybe even Real Analysis.

The first thing you should do is get a nice introductory algebra ("basic algebra") book, that'll give you the basics. Then get a geometry book and learn a decent amount of geometry. After that you can progress onto basic analytic geometry and trigonometry. Only at that point can you even start to think about learning calculus.

That being said, I don't recommend this in any way.
First of all, it's going to take a while. What I just outlined is easily 3 years of math classes if not 4 or 5.
Second of all, self teaching is never the best idea. I'm not afraid to say that I am really good at math, and when I self-taught myself Differential Calculus I know that if I didn't have the mathematical skills I have I would have fallen far behind and suffered greatly by trying to leap ahead.

My advice is to take it a bit slower, wait to skip classes until you've gotten a bit farther along the math track.
That being said, I'd do whatever you want to do!
Best of luck :)

I understand the importance of a strong foundation in mathematics. It is commendable that you have taken the initiative to set a customized math course for yourself. I believe that reviewing basic arithmetic is a great way to refresh your skills and build a strong understanding of mathematical concepts.

I am not familiar with the specific book you have mentioned for abstract algebra, but I would recommend doing some research to ensure that it is a reliable and comprehensive resource. Additionally, there are many online resources and textbooks available for learning abstract algebra, so it may be helpful to explore different options and choose the one that best suits your learning style.

In terms of geometry and trigonometry, I suggest finding a reputable website or textbook that covers both topics in depth. These subjects are closely related and it would be beneficial to have a strong understanding of both before moving on to calculus.

As for calculus, it is a complex and challenging subject, so it is important to choose a resource that is well-written and engaging. I would also recommend seeking out additional resources, such as online tutorials or practice problems, to supplement your learning.

Overall, I believe that your proposed track is a good starting point. However, it is important to continuously assess and adjust your approach as needed. Good luck on your math journey!

1. What is the purpose of a custom math course?

A custom math course is designed to help individuals refresh their arithmetic skills and learn algebra and calculus at their own pace and according to their specific needs. It provides a personalized learning experience that can help improve understanding, confidence, and problem-solving abilities in math.

2. Who can benefit from a custom math course?

A custom math course can benefit anyone who wants to improve their math skills, whether it be students struggling in their current math class, adults looking to refresh their knowledge for personal or professional reasons, or individuals preparing for standardized tests.

3. How is a custom math course different from a traditional math course?

A custom math course is tailored to the individual's needs and learning style, while a traditional math course typically follows a set curriculum for a group of students. A custom math course also allows for more flexibility in pacing and content, as well as personalized support and feedback from the instructor.

4. What topics are covered in a custom math course?

A custom math course typically covers basic arithmetic, algebra, and calculus concepts. The specific topics and depth of coverage may vary based on the individual's needs and goals.

5. Can a custom math course be taken online?

Yes, many custom math courses are offered online, making it convenient for individuals to learn from the comfort of their own home. Online courses also often provide interactive tools and resources to enhance the learning experience.