Cyclic Subgroups of P15: Homework Solutions

• Thread starter essie52
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cyclic
In summary, the conversation discusses the set P15 which consists of all integer numbers less than 15 that are mutually prime with 15. It is a group under multiplication modulo 15. The first question (a) asks for the six cyclic groups in P15, which are <3>=<6>=<9>=<12>= {0, 3, 6 , 9, 12} and <5>=<10>= {0, 5, 10}. The second question (b) asks for an isomorphism between each cyclic subgroup of order 4 and Z_4. The third question (c) asks for a noncyclic subgroup of order 4 in P15, but it is mentioned
essie52

Homework Statement

Consider the set P15 of all integer numbers less than 15 that are mutually prime with 15: P15 = {1, 2, 4, 7, 8, 11, 13, 14}. It is a group under multiplication modulo 15.

(a) P15 has six cyclic groups. Find them.
my answer: <3>=<6>=<9>=<12>= {0, 3, 6 , 9, 12} and <5>=<10>= {0, 5, 10}

(b) For each cyclic subgroup of order 4 give an isomorphism with Z_4.
Well, at this point I figure I must have done (a) wrong since I do not have any subgroups with order 4. If I did I would know how to give an isomorphism with Z_4 so that is not a problem.

(c) Find a noncyclic subgroup of order 4 in P15.
I thought P15 was cyclic and a subgroup of a cyclic group is cyclic, right?

(d) To what well known group is (c) isomorphic?
Isn't this the same question as (b)?

(e) Why can we be sure that P15 has no other noncyclic subgroups of order 4?

(f) Is P15 cyclic?
I thought so but that makes some of the other questions irrelevant.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's just start with the first one. Z15 is cyclic and contains 0. P15 as you've defined it doesn't contain 0. 0 isn't an integer that's mutually prime with 15. Try and work on that one first.

1. What are cyclic subgroups of P15?

Cyclic subgroups of P15 are subsets of the group P15 (the set of all permutations of 15 elements) that contain an element and all of its powers. In other words, a cyclic subgroup is a subgroup generated by a single element.

2. How do you determine the order of a cyclic subgroup of P15?

The order of a cyclic subgroup of P15 is equal to the number of elements in the subgroup, which is the same as the number of powers of the generating element. For example, if the generating element has order 6, then the cyclic subgroup has 6 elements.

3. Can there be multiple cyclic subgroups of the same order in P15?

Yes, there can be multiple cyclic subgroups of the same order in P15. This is because the order of a cyclic subgroup depends on the order of the generating element, and there can be multiple elements with the same order in P15.

4. How do you find the generator of a cyclic subgroup in P15?

The generator of a cyclic subgroup in P15 can be found by looking for an element that, when raised to different powers, generates all the elements in the subgroup. This can be done by trial and error or by using a specific algorithm, such as the power cycle algorithm.

5. What is the significance of cyclic subgroups in P15?

Cyclic subgroups are important in P15 because they allow us to break down a larger group into smaller, more manageable subgroups. They also have many applications in mathematics and computer science, such as in group theory, cryptography, and coding theory.